Essential Concept and/or Skill: Demonstrate functional health literacy skills to obtain, interpret, understand and use basic health concepts to enhance personal, family, and community health.
Use concepts related to health promotion and disease prevention.
- Predict influence of risk and protective factors.
- Describe the interrelationships of the wellness dimensions: physical, emotional, intellectual, environmental, social, and spiritual.
- Use knowledge of impact of genetics/family history to make informed decisions
- Contribute to personal/family quality of life through proper. prevention/management of health crises, i.e., injury, depression, chronic illness.
- Evaluate the impact of health care access (cost, knowledge, insurance, transportation) on health status.
- Describe how the prevention and control of health problems are influenced by research and medical advances.
- Describe the historical impact of disease and other health problems on contemporary health practices.
- Explain the impact of personal health behaviors on the functioning of body systems.
- Explain how personal choices impact health maintenance and disease prevention.
- Understand preventive physical and mental health measures, including proper diet, nutrition, exercise, risk avoidance and stress reduction.
Analyze influencing factors on health enhancing behaviors.
- Explain how family, peers, cultural practices and attitudes influence health.
- Evaluate the impact of media, technology, research and medical advances on health.
- Understand impact of national and international public health and safety issues on personal and family health status.
Essential Concept and/or Skill: Synthesize interactive literacy and social skills to establish and monitor personal, family and community goals related to all aspects of health.
Demonstrate communication skills to enhance health and increase safety.
- Communicate effectively to enhance health of self and others.
- Employ effective conflict management strategies. Utilize methods of obtaining help for self and offer assistance to others.
- Demonstrate ways to communicate care, consideration, empathy, and respect for self and others.
Advocate for personal, family and community health.
- Promote health messages to meet health needs of a target audience.
- Influence and support others to make positive health choices.
- Collaborate with others to improve family and community health.
- Employ the effective communication methods to accurately express health information and ideas.
- Engage in media and legislative advocacy efforts to promote positive health for self and others.
- Advocate for healthy, violence-free behaviors by using knowledge of the dynamics of power and position.
Essential Concept and/or Skill: Apply critical literacy/thinking skills related to personal, family and community wellness.
Demonstrate decision-making skills.
- Evaluate healthy and unhealthy alternatives in decision-making.
- Evaluate effectiveness of health-related decisions.
- Employ ethical practices when making health-related decisions.
- Use knowledge of relevant terminology, (i.e., deductible, co-pay, catastrophic, coverage) to ask questions and make decisions about health benefits.
- Seek multiple perspectives when asking for assistance to make health-related decisions.
- Consider immediate and long-term impact on individual, family, community and environment when making health-related decisions.
Demonstrate goal-setting skills.
- Evaluate health status and develop goals to enhance health.
- Engage in an ongoing cycle of goal-setting, implementation, evaluation and readjustment to enhance health status.
Essential Concept and/or Skill: Use media literacy skills to analyze media and other influences to effectively manage health risk situations and advocate for self and others.
Analyze the influence of family, peers, health professionals, culture, media, technology, and other health factors.
- Employ appropriate responses to negative and positive health influences.
- Analyze the role of public health policies in prevention and maintenance of school and community health.
- Analyze how cultural diversity enriches and challenges health behaviors.
- Analyze how information from the community, family and peers influences health.
- Determine reliability, accuracy, dependability of health information sources.
- Recognize and reject messages that could lead to bullying or violence.
Access valid information, products and services.
- Evaluate factors that influence selection of health products and services.
- Consider preferred provider status as well as other relevant insurance provisions and/or restrictions when accessing and choosing professional health services.
Essential Concept and/or Skill: Demonstrate behaviors that foster healthy, active lifestyles for individuals and the benefit of society.
Achieve and maintain health-enhancing level of physical activity.
- Assess and monitor current physical health to meet fitness goals.
- Engage in activities to maintain appropriate levels of cardiovascular endurance, muscular, strength/flexibility, and body composition.
Practice preventive health behaviors.
- Engage in appropriate stress-management strategies that enhance health.
- Engage in behaviors that promote risk avoidance.
- Identify factors that influence healthy eating.
- Establish healthy eating behaviors.
- Engage in behaviors that promote positive mental and emotional health for the individual, family and community.