On this page...
Open Enrollment is the process by which parents and guardians residing in an Iowa district may enroll their children into another Iowa school district under the terms and conditions of Iowa Code section 282.18 and Iowa Administrative Code 281—chapter 17.
- September 1, 2021: Application deadline for incoming preschool students who receive special education services requiring specially designed instruction (SDI) and incoming kindergarten students to open enroll for the current school year (2021-2022).
- September 2, 2021: 2021-2022 applications for incoming preschool students requiring SDI and kindergarten students will be denied unless the parent or guardian is able to demonstrate “good cause.”
- March 1, 2022: Application deadline for resident students of the Davenport, Des Moines, Postville, Waterloo, and West Liberty school districts to open enroll out of their district for the remainder of the 2021-2022 school year.
- March 1, 2022: Application deadline for students in grades 1-12 to open enroll for the upcoming school year (2022-2023).
- March 2, 2022: 2022-2023 applications for students grades 1-12 will be denied unless the parent or guardian is able to demonstrate good cause.
General Open Enrollment Contacts
Open Enrollment to Approved Online Schools Contact
- Janet Boyd
District Open Enrollment Billing Questions
- Tom Cooley
2021-22 Open Enrollment
Note: The 2021-22 Open Enrollment Handbook is currently being revised. Check back after September 1.
Parent/Guardian Open Enrollment Information - Provides parents and guardians with updated open enrollment information following several changes to Iowa law. This document is organized around the following topics: Application Information and Deadlines, Appeal Process, Athletic Eligibility, and Transportation
Updates Due to 2021 Legislation (House Files 228 and 847)
- House File 228 eliminates district implementation of a voluntary diversity plan as a reason to deny an open enrollment request. This change extends the 2021–2022 deadline for resident students in the five affected districts (Davenport, Des Moines, Postville, Waterloo, and West Liberty) to apply to open enroll to another district.
- 2021-2022 Iowa Open Enrollment Application for Diversity Plan Districts (only resident students of Davenport, Des Moines, Postville, Waterloo, and West Liberty)
- House File 847 adds “good cause” exemptions to apply for open enrollment after the March 1 deadline, expands athletic eligibility for open enrolled students, and introduces transportation and appeals process changes.
- House File 847 and Changes to Athletic Eligibility Guidance - Provides additional information related to a student’s eligibility to compete in varsity athletics after transferring between schools or school districts.