On this page...
Open Enrollment is the process by which a parent or guardian residing in an Iowa district may enroll their child(ren) into another Iowa school district under the terms and conditions of Iowa Code section 282.18 and Iowa Administrative Code 281—chapter 17.
- September 1, 2021: Application deadline for incoming preschool students who receive special education services requiring specially designed instruction (SDI) and incoming kindergarten students to open enroll for the current school year (2021-2022).
- September 2, 2021: 2021-2022 applications for incoming preschool students requiring SDI and kindergarten students will be denied unless the parent or guardian is able to demonstrate “good cause.”
- March 1, 2022: Application deadline for students in grades 1-12 to open enroll for the upcoming school year (2022-2023).
- March 2, 2022: 2022-2023 applications for students grades 1-12 will be denied unless the parent or guardian is able to demonstrate good cause.
General Open Enrollment Contacts
Open Enrollment to Approved Online Schools Contact
District Open Enrollment Billing Questions
District Open Enrollment Transportation Assistance Billing Questions
2021-22 Open Enrollment
2021-2022 Open Enrollment Handbook - Provides parents, guardians, and school districts with updated information following several changes to Iowa law and rules regarding open enrollment. This handbook is divided into the following sections: Information for Parents and Guardians, Instructions for School Districts, Frequently Asked Questions, and Contacts and Resources.
Parent/Guardian Open Enrollment Information - Provides parents and guardians with updated open enrollment information following several changes to Iowa law and rules. This document is organized around the following topics: Application Information and Deadlines, Appeal Process, Athletic Eligibility, and Transportation
Updates Due to 2021 Legislation (House Files 228 and 847)
- House File 228 eliminates district implementation of a voluntary diversity plan as a reason to deny an open enrollment request. This change extends the 2021–2022 deadline for resident students in the five affected districts (Davenport, Des Moines, Postville, Waterloo, and West Liberty) to apply to open enroll to another district.
- 2021-2022 Iowa Open Enrollment Application for Diversity Plan Districts (only resident students of Davenport, Des Moines, Postville, Waterloo, and West Liberty)
- House File 847 adds “good cause” exemptions to apply for open enrollment after the March 1 deadline, expands athletic eligibility for open enrolled students, and introduces transportation and appeals process changes.
- House File 847 and Changes to Athletic Eligibility Guidance - Provides additional information related to a student’s eligibility to compete in varsity athletics after transferring between schools or school districts.