On this page...
Summer P-EBT is a temporary United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) food benefit that provides extra support to Iowa families with children who were approved for free or reduced price school meals. Significant changes have been made to the 2023 Summer P-EBT program compared to previous years.
Who is eligible for P-EBT?
To be eligible for P-EBT, students must meet ALL of the following criteria based on data from May 2023:
- Student was enrolled at a school participating in the National School Lunch Program (NSLP) during May 2023
- Student attended school in person
- Student was in grades K-12 during May 2023
- Student was eligible for free or reduced price meals by one of the following methods:
- 2022-23 Free and Reduced Price Meal Application approved by May 31, 2023
- Attended a 2022-23 CEP school and was still enrolled in May of 2023
- Directly Certified during the 2022-23 school year prior to May 31, 2023
Note that the following groups are not eligible:
- Students who graduated or dropped out of school prior to May 2023
- Virtual academy, homeschooled students, or dual enrolled students
- Students who were in preschool during May 2023
What are the benefits for 2023 P-EBT?
Eligible students will receive $120 each ($40 per month for the summer) for the use of purchasing food. Students and families may use their benefits to purchase eligible food items anywhere SNAP EBT cards are accepted (see parent/guardian FAQ for additional detail).
How will eligible children receive P-EBT benefits?
New P-EBT cards for eligible children will be mailed to the address provided by their school. The card should be received by 10-4-23. If the child has a different last name than the adults who receive mail at the address, it may be helpful to notify the post office that the child will receive mail.
- Summer 2023 FAQs for Parents/Guardians
- Visit the Summer Pandemic Electronic Benefit Transfer (P-EBT) Program webpage from the Iowa Department of Health and Human Services
- Call the P-EBT call center at 515-420-6048, open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.