Smart Snacks in School
On this page...
The Healthy, Hunger‐Free Kids Act of 2010 establishes nutrition standards for all foods and beverages sold to students before, during, and 30 minutes after the school day. The nutrition standards that are a part of the Iowa Healthy Kids Act are now equivalent to USDA’s Smart Snack standards.
- In Iowa, there are zero exemptions for fundraisers. All fundraisers that take place before, during and 30 minutes after school must meet the Healthy Kids Act/Smart Snacks nutrition standards as indicated in Iowa Administrative Code 281—58.10.
- USDA Smart Snacks Webpage – Summary of the standards; regulation and policy, frequently asked questions and issue briefs, and available technical assistance.
- Guide to Smart Snacks – Overview of USDA Smart Snacks nutrition standards
- USDA Questions and Answers – Clarification of the Smart Snacks nutrition standards.
Calculator, Product Lists, and Recipe Analysis
- Alliance for a Healthier Generation Smart Snacks Calculator – Tool to assess food product compliance with the federal requirements for Smart Snacks in Schools.
- List of Acceptable Foods and Beverages – Resource developed by Connecticut State Department of Education. Note: all products still need to be determined compliant by the nutrition calculator with a calculator print out for documentation.
- Recipe and Menu Analysis Resources – Useful when using recipes to provide nutrition information to enter into Smart Snacks calculator to determine compliance.
School Nutrition, Student Groups, Family Consumer Science, and Coffee Bars
Communication with school staff and school groups is key to successful compliance of Smart Snacks. It is the role of school nutrition to ensure that everyone that sells foods and beverages to students during the school day is aware of the Smart Snacks standards and provides assistance in meeting the standards. Below are some resources that can assist School Nutrition as they work with school groups on Smart Snacks compliance.
- How School Nutrition Can Work with School Groups
- Smart Snacks Sample Order Form
- Smart Snacks Guidance for School Groups
- Smart Snacks Information for FCS Educators
- Smart Snacks and Coffee Bars
Webinars and Presentations
- Smart Snacks in School Webinar – Held as part of the school nutrition monthly News to Know webinar series that provided an overview of requirements when selling food and beverages to students.
- School Wellness and Smart Snacks Webcast (10:30 minutes) – Overview of local school wellness policies and Smart Snacks nutrition standards.
Smart Snack Recipes
The following recipes meet Smart Snacks standards. These may be most beneficial for Family Consumer Sciences, Food Classes, school stores and a la carte lines.
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies – Smart Snack Print Out
- Smart Cranberry Cookie – Chef Dee Dee Recipe
- Whole Grain Cereal Treats – Smart Snack Print Out
- Sugar Cookies – USDA Recipes
- White Chocolate Chip Cookies – USDA Recipes
- Cherry Chocolate Smoothie – Chef Dee Dee Recipe
- Pumpkin Smoothie in a Cup – OSU – Food Hero Recipe
- Yogurt Parfaits – Smart Snack Print Out
- Slim Slammer: Turkey and Apple – Chef Dee Dee Recipe
- Slim Slammer: Chicken and Cucumber – Chef Dee Dee Recipe
- Cowboy Corn Salad with Whole Grain Chips – Smart Snack Print Out
- Popcorn Trail Mix – Smart Snack Print Out
Additional Smart Snacks Recipes
- Child Nutrition and Wellness Kansas State Department of Education
- Popcorn (recipes from the Michigan Department of Education)
- Wyoming Farm to Plate Recipes