On this page...
Below are resources to assist with implementation of the nutrition standards for the National School Lunch and School Breakfast programs.
Resources and Tools
USDA Food and Nutrition Service - Regulations, policy memos, and other nutrition standards guidance materials.
- National School Lunch Meal Pattern
- School Breakfast Meal Pattern
- Vegetable Subgroups
- Production Record
Menu Ideas and Recipes
Iowa Gold Star Menus and Recipes
Includes menu, recipes, shopping list, nutritional analysis, and technical assistance materials.
- Breakfast - Consists of a 2-week cycle menu and a 1 week Grab ‘n Go menu that meets the School Breakfast Program meal pattern. The menus meets the K-8 grade group meal pattern with 10 grain oz. eq./week and 400-550 daily average calories/week and offers healthy USDA Foods.
- Lunch - Consists of a 5-week cycle menu with recipes that meet the NSLP meal pattern. The menu meets the K-8 grade group meal pattern with 550-650 calories, 8-9 oz. eq. grains, and 9-10 oz. eq. meat/meat alternates daily. The menu includes flexibilities in the meat/meat alternate and grain maximums and offers healthy USDA Foods.
Cycle Menu Resources
- Healthier Kansas Breakfast and Lunch Menus - Nutrient analysis, recipes, preparation instructions, serving tips, production records and a purchasing guide.
- Child Nutrition Recipe Box - Collection of standardized recipes by the Institute of Child Nutrition.
- Ohio Menus that Move - Seasonal cycle menus that fit within the USDA meal guidelines.
- Child Nutrition Recipe Box - Provides Child Nutrition Program operators with recipes to prepare healthy and delicious meals that meet meal pattern requirements.
Grab n' Go Examples
- Take n' Talk Grab n' Go Menu - Created in partnership with Indianola Middle School and Iowa Team Nutrition.
- Waukee Elementary Menu with Kydz-ables Grab n' Go Option
- Saydel High School Grab n' Go Breakfast Menu