On this page...
The following tools have been developed to help school nutrition programs communicate effectively with school staff, parents, and the community about the value of the child nutrition program.
Reimbursable Meal Signage
Iowa Team Nutrition has developed a collection of reimbursable meal identification resources to assist students in selecting their meal choices and will reduce unintentional purchase of food items not included in the reimbursable meal.
Build a Healthy Lunch
Build a Healthy Breakfast
Today's Menu Poster
Component Clings - Post the clings on your serving line to help students recognize the meal components.
Make a Meal Signage
Offer vs. Serve Posters and Tip Sheets - Developed by USDA
What Makes a Breakfast/Lunch? Signage - Developed by Dubuque Community School District
Reimbursable Meal Posters - Developed by Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction
What is a Reimbursable Meal? - Information sheet that explains offer vs. serve and the requirements to receive a reimbursable meal that can be used in newsletters, webpages, social media, etc. Can be updated with photos and contact information.
Elementary Lesson - Explains the “Build a Healthy Lunch” signage in the cafeteria and is a great way to show support for the school meal program in the classroom.
MyPlate Menu Templates
Menu templates that include MyPlate, jokes, and nutrition tips. They are easy to download and use in Word and then save as a PDF for sharing. Customize with school name, month, and additional information.
Lime Green Menu, Green Menu, Navy Menu, Orange Menu, Purple Menu, Blue Menu, and Brown Menu
Resources to help school nutrition programs communicate with their school board, administrators, and the community about the needs and value of child nutrition programs:
- School Board Presentation Template
- Reimbursable Meals Webpage - Saydel CSD
- School Nutrition Outreach Toolkit - Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction
- FREE USDA Team Posters and Nutrition Education Resources
- 10 Ways to Involve Students in Your School Nutrition Program
- School Lunch Survey: Grades 6-8
- Sample Morning Announcements
- Ways for Parent Teacher Organizations to Partner with School Meals (National Parent Teacher Association)
- Iowa Parent School Lunch Report - The University of Iowa Public Policy Center and College of Public Health conducted a study to determine Iowa parents' knowledge and perceptions of the school lunch program. Iowa parents of school-aged children were surveyed online to assess attitudes, beliefs, and practices in regards to the school lunch program at their child's school.