On this page...
National School Lunch Program and School Breakfast Program
Federally funded programs that provide meal reimbursement to public and nonpublic schools and Residential Child Care Institutions. These Programs provide nutritionally balanced, low-cost or no-cost lunches and breakfasts to children each school day. The funds provided for these Programs are from the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) and are administered in Iowa through the Bureau of Nutrition and Health Services in the Department of Education.
Iowa School Nutrition Fact Sheet - provides an overview of School Nutrition Programs in Iowa including the benefits, how to build a reimbursable lunch, participation data, and reimbursement information.
Assigned Consultants - Consultant assignments for Child Nutrition Programs in schools:
Iowa CNP - web-based program for school meal applications and claims.
Student Meal Debt - In 2018, the Iowa Legislature passed and the Governor signed into legislation HF2467 addressing student meal debt. The following documents provide guidance and answers pertaining to the legislation:
- HF2467 Student Lunch Debt Guidance
- HF2467 Q & A (Revised 2018)
- Meal Charge Policy School Food Authorities are required to have a policy implemented by July 1, 2017 which describes how students without funds in an account and no cash to purchase a meal will be impacted.This document provides a multitude of suggestions and important points to consider in developing a policy.
Providing Meals During SY2020-21
As published in the October 9, 2020 USDA Nationwide Waivers, School Food Authorities (SFAs) may choose to provide meal service under the Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) through June 30, 2021 or continue the National School Lunch Program (NSLP) and School Breakfast Program (SBP). The following resources were sent via email to School Nutrition Directors and Authorized Representatives on September 4, 2020 to assist in making their determination.
Please connect with the School Nutrition Consultant in your region for additional information.
The Iowa Department of Education Bureau of Nutrition & Health Services and the Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals collaborated on development of this resource to assist school nutrition programs.
School Year 2020-21 USDA Waivers and Q&As: COVID-19
Child Nutrition Program Nationwide Waivers
- #59 – Allow SFSP and SSO Operations Through SY 2020-21 – Extension
- #60 – Extend Area Eligibility Waivers – Extension #3
- #61 – Allow Non-Congregate Feeding in SFSP/SSO – Extension #5
- #62 – Allow Parents and Guardian to Pick Up Meals for Children – Extension #5
- #63 – Allow Meal Pattern Flexibility in SFSP/SSO – Extension #8
- #64 – Allow Area Eligibility for Closed Enrolled Sites in the SFSP and the NLSP SSO - EXTENSION 2
- #65 – Waive First Week Site Visits in the Summer Food Service Program- EXTENSION 2
- #66 – Meal Service Time Restrictions in the SFSP and the NLSP SSO- EXTENSION 2
- #67 – Nationwide Waiver to Allow Offer Versus Serve Flexibilities in the SFSP – EXTENSION 2
- #68 – Area Eligibility in the CACFP At-Risk Afterschool Care Component – EXTENSION
- #69 – Allow Reimbursement for Meals Served Prior to Notification of Approval and Provide Flexibility for Pre-Approval Visits in the SFSP
- #70 – Allow Meal Pattern Flexibility in the Child Nutrition Programs – EXTENSION #5
- #71 - Nationwide Waiver of Food Service Managment Contract Duration in the NLSP and SFSP - EXTENSION
- #72 - Nationwide Waiver for Selected Child Nutrition Program Reporting Requirements
Summer Food Service Program Waivers
- #48 to Allow Area Eligibility for Closed Enrolled Sites in the SFSP
- #49 to Waive First Week Site Visits in the SFSP
- #50 of Meal Service Time Restriction in the SFSP
- #51 to Allow Offer Versus Serve Flexibilities in SFSP
- #52 to Extend Area Eligibility Waivers
- #53 to Allow Meal Pattern Flexibility in the SFSP
- #54 to Allow Non-Congregate Feeding in the SFSP
- #55 to Allow Parents and Guardians to Pick Up Meals for Children
- #56 to Allow Summer Food Service Program through December 2020
- #57 to Allow Reimbursement for Meals Served Prior to Notification of Approval for New Sponsors and Flexibility for Pre-Approval Visits
Questions and Answers Documents
- SP 24-2020 - Questions and Answers for the Child Nutrition Program during the School Year 2020-2021 - Covers school reopening (NSLP/SBP), meal pattern, potable water, child care/afterschool programs.
- SP 25-2020 - Questions and Answers to Nationwide Waiver to Allow Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) - Covers a variety of areas related to implementation of the SFSP.
USDA Waiver Requests - Public Notification
The Iowa Department of Education Bureau of Nutrition and Health Services is seeking the following waivers from the United States Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service.
Submitted USDA Waiver Requests
- Oversight and Review Requirements Waiver Request
- SBP & NSLP Potable Water Waiver Request
- Center At Risk Activity Waiver Request
- FSMC 21 Day Cycle Menu Waiver
Submitted and Approved USDA Waiver Requests
- Fresh Fruit & Vegetable Program Parent Pick Up Waiver Request
- Fresh Fruit & Vegetable Program Alternate Site Waiver Request
- Iowa Waiver Request 3 Year Administrative Review
- Extend the Administrative Review cycle from the current 3-year cycle to a 5-year cycle to allow the Bureau of Nutrition and Health Services to provide additional technical assistance and reduce the administrative burden for local public school districts, nonpublic schools and Residential Child Care Institutions participating in the National School Lunch Program.