On this page...
Therapeutic Classroom Grants
The Therapeutic Classroom Grant provides competitive grants to public school districts to establish therapeutic classrooms for learners ages 3 to 21 whose emotional, social, or behavioral needs interfere with their ability to be successful in their current educational environment (Iowa Code 256.25). Districts applying for the grant may seek funds to establish new classrooms and/or install critical components into current classroom/programs that they are developing into therapeutic classrooms.
District awards will be based on the following priorities:
- First Priority: Competitive district applicants that submitted an application but were not awarded a grant for 2021-2022 or 2022-2023. Note: These districts must reapply for the 2023-2024 grant.
- Second Priority: Competitive district applicants that collaborate and partner with one or more school districts, area education agencies, accredited nonpublic schools, nonprofit agencies or institutions that provide mental health services for children.
- Third Priority: Competitive district applicants located in mental health and disability services regions providing behavioral health services for children.
Public school districts may apply for the therapeutic classroom grant by following the directions provided in the Therapeutic Classroom Grant Application Package. The package includes a Worksheet that supports districts in preparing to submit their application. The application process includes a self-assessment of therapeutic classroom components and the district applicants proposal for establishing therapeutic classrooms during the upcoming school year.
- Therapeutic Classroom Grant Application Package 2023-24
- Therapeutic Classroom Grant Application Worksheet 2023-24
- Therapeutic Classroom Implementation Rubric
- Therapeutic Classroom Grant Webinar Recording and PowerPoint
- Frequently Asked Questions: Therapeutic Classroom Grant
- Application Portal
- June 2, 2023 - Grant Application Package Available
- June 29, 2023 - Applications Due (Application Portal)
- July 31, 2023 - Intent to Award Announced
- Aug. 14, 2023 - Awards Announced (pending appeal)
See the FAQ. Applicant districts may submit additional questions which will be updated on the FAQ approximately every two weeks until the grant deadline.
Prior District Awards
What is a therapeutic classroom?
"Therapeutic classroom" means a classroom designed for the purpose of providing support for any student, with or without an Individualized Education Program (IEP), whose emotional, social, or behavioral needs interfere with the student’s ability to be successful in the current educational environment, with or without supports, until the student is able to successfully return to the student’s current education environment, with or without supports, including but not limited to the general education classroom.
A school district may include therapeutic classrooms as part of its district’s or building’s tiers of supports. The word “classroom” is a descriptor of an educational set of services that create the educational environment that may include but is not required to include a separate physical setting from other students.
For a more comprehensive definition of therapeutic classroom see Iowa Administrative Code 281-14.
Therapeutic classroom requirements?
A school district is not required to operate a therapeutic classroom; however, a school district is required to ensure therapeutic services are available, whether in-district or otherwise, to students who need those services to access or benefit from an education.
For state reporting and reimbursement purposes to be considered a therapeutic classroom the program/classroom must serve both students with and without IEPs and include all the components listed in Iowa Administrative Code 281-14.13.
- Each fall, districts are required to report within Consolidated Accountability and Support Application (CASA) the number of therapeutic classrooms they operate.
- Districts must report transfers and referrals to therapeutic classrooms using their student information system.
- By Nov. 1 of each year the Department of Education must provide an annual report to the legislators regarding therapeutic classroom referrals and transfers.
When a district provides therapeutic services to a student without an IEP, they may seek reimbursement for therapeutic services and transportation.
- Reimbursement of Therapeutic Services: Reimbursement is at a rate of 1.5 times the district cost per pupil for the number of days the student serves in a therapeutic classroom.
- Reimbursement of Transportation: Districts may submit claims for students who are transported more than 30 miles to a therapeutic classroom outside the district.
- To be considered for reimbursement, therapeutic classroom transfers must be recorded using the district student information system and students must not have an IEP.
- Districts must submit a claim for reimbursement by June 15 of each school year.
This is legislated funding, and is in place as long as it is appropriated and until it is exhausted. See Iowa Administrative Code 281-14.14.
Claim Reimbursement Webinar - Recorded 5-31-22. Webinar recording walks through the steps for grant claim reimbursement. Claims should be submitted using secure email to email@example.com and are due by 6-15-22. Webinar PowerPoint