Therapeutic Classroom Grant
On this page...
The Therapeutic Classroom Grant provides competitive grants pursuant to Iowa Code 256.25 to public school districts to establish therapeutic classrooms for learners ages 3 to 21 whose emotional, social, or behavioral needs interfere with their ability to be successful in their current educational environment. Districts applying for the grant may seek funds to establish new classrooms and/or install critical components into current classroom/programs that they are developing into therapeutic classrooms.
Distribution of funds is dependent on funds being obligated for fiscal year 2022.
|Mar. 12||Grant Application Questions Due|
|Mar. 19||FAQ Released for Grant Application Questions|
|Apr. 30||Applications Due|
|May 31||Awards Announced|
|No later than Aug. 1||Funds Distributed|
Districts may apply using the below Application Portal. Prior to submitting your application, it is recommended you are prepared to submit all portions of the application by using the Application Package and Worksheet.
Grant Specific Resources
- Evidence-Based Therapeutic Supports
- Therapeutic Classroom Framework
- Therapeutic Classroom Implementation Rubric
- Frequently Asked Questions: Therapeutic Classroom Grant
- Senate File 2360: Guidance for Safe Classroom Learning Environments
- Frequently Asked Questions about Senate File 2360: Safe Classroom Learning Environments
Social-emotional-behavioral health (SEBH) affects how we think, feel, communicate, act and learn. These contribute to resilience, how we relate to others, respond to stress and emotions, and make choices. See the SEBH definition and rational for more information.
Within a multi-tiered system of supports (MTSS), universal, school-based social-emotional learning can prevent a range of school-related SEBH concerns, but are not sufficient to support the range of student needs. Supplemental and intensive therapeutic social-emotional supports are effective at reducing social-emotional concerns including such things as anxiety, depression, self-harm and post-traumatic stress disorder.
School-based therapeutic classroom supports are part of the continuum of SEBH supports schools may offer through MTSS.
Therapeutic classrooms are intended:
- For students whose emotional, social, or behavioral needs interfere with the student’s ability to be successful in the current educational environment, with or without supports, including students who have co-occurring poor academic work habits or need academic supports, due to social-emotional behaviors that interfere with learning;
- To be time limited and geared to support students in successfully returning to their educational environment, with or without supports; and
- For a small percentage of learners who are unable to function or make acceptable progress with services and/or program options available in less restrictive environments.
Therapeutic Classroom Framework
The Therapeutic Classroom Framework provides a foundation for districts to build-on as they are establishing therapeutic classroom supports. The Therapeutic Classroom Implementation Rubric is a tool districts may use to self-assess and prioritize therapeutic supports and components and is required for applicants of the Therapeutic Classroom Grant.