Request for Approval (RFAP): Early Literacy Universal Screening and Progress Monitoring Tools
Iowa Administrative Code 281-62 (State Standards for Reading Progression) requires public districts to universally screen literacy skill development of all K-3 students. Targeted intervention and ongoing progress monitoring is then required for students who are repeatedly identified as at-risk for not meeting subsequent learning targets. Intervention and skill monitoring continues beyond 3rd grade when students continue to demonstrate risk.
To help support public schools to meet this requirement, the Iowa Department of Education is seeking early literacy (K-6) universal screening and progress monitoring assessment submissions. Screening and monitoring tools submitted will be reviewed to ensure each approved measure meets the minimum criteria specified by the Department. Those tools that meet approval criteria will be communicated to Iowa’s schools as approved early literacy screening and monitoring assessments.
Request for Approval Requirements
The Iowa Department of Education has identified criteria for universal screening and progress monitoring assessments that are required as part of this Request for Approval (RFAP). Applicants must submit responses to the required sections of the Submission Template to be considered for approval. A Department evaluation committee will conduct a comprehensive, fair, and impartial evaluation of proposals received in response to this request. The committee will identify those assessments that meet the minimum technical characteristics required for inclusion on the approved assessment list.
Submission Process and Timeline
|March 11, 2022 by 5 p.m. CT||Vendor questions due. Submit through the ELI Assessment Vendor Questions form.|
|March 23, 2022||ELI Assessment Questions and Responses|
|April 1, 2022 by 5 p.m. CT||
|May 20, 2022||Approved ELI list posted (Tentative)|
- Request for Approval: ELI Assessment (Template), one per submission. Please include the product and/or vendor name in the title of submission(s)
- Supplemental resources, referenced as evidence within the Request for Approval Submission Template (e.g., user guide, technical manual etc.), are submitted as pdfs with the proposal.
- Each submission is a pdf.
- Each submission is no more than 16MB.
- There are no more than 10 total submissions/attachments per Request for Approval.
- If submitting multiple measures that stand alone, each is submitted separately with a separate Request for Approval Submission Template.