On this page...
A school counseling program is an articulated, sequential, kindergarten-through-grade 12 program that is comprehensive in scope, preventative in design, developmental in nature, driven by data, and integral to the school district’s curricula and instructional program. The program must be implemented by a qualified professional school counselor who is appropriately licensed by the Iowa Board of Educational Examiners.
School Counseling endorsements include:
K-12 Articulated, Sequential School Counseling Programs
- Ethical Standards for School Counselors
- Professional Standards and Competencies for School Counselors
- Roles and Ratios for School Counselors
Iowa's Chapter 12 Interpretation Matrix - Includes standards for school counseling programs
School Counselor as a Professional
Evaluation Supplement for School Counselors - Tool to support the administrator and the counselor through the evaluation process.
The following institutions provide training and licensing in Iowa for School Counselors:
- Buena Vista University
- Drake University
- Grand View University
- Loras College
- University of Iowa
- University of Northern Iowa
- Upper Iowa University
Professional Development of School Counselors
- ISCA Professional Development
- Iowa College Aid - Iowa College and Career Readiness Academy - A suite of Iowa-specific online courses for college access and success professionals.
- ISCA Annual Conference - Nov. 14-16, 2021
- ASCA Professional Development - ASCA membership required for most
- Evidence-Based School Counseling Conference - March 11-12, 2022, Florida Atlantic University
- National School Counseling Leadership Conference - Trish Hatch - Feb. 16-18, 2022
- School Counselor Academy 2021-22 - Contact your local AEA for information
- AEA Learning Online - Professional Development Course Catalog - View opportunities and register. Individuals will need to log into the AEA Learning System website using their current username and password. If a new account needs to be created, the content will not be accessible until the following business day.