On this page...
A school counseling program is an articulated, sequential, kindergarten-through-grade 12 program that is comprehensive in scope, preventative in design, developmental in nature, driven by data, and integral to the school district’s curricula and instructional program. The program must be implemented by a qualified professional school counselor who is appropriately licensed by the Iowa Board of Educational Examiners.
School Counseling endorsements include:
School Counselor Update Newsletter
In collaboration with multiple agencies, the School Counselor Update is a newsletter created to support the multi-tier, multi-domain work of school counselors. The newsletters come out four time each school year.
- September 2020 School Counselor Update
- May 2020 School Counselor Update
- Novmeber 2019 School Counselor Update
- September 2019 School Counselor Update
2020-2021 School Counselor Update Distribution Dates:
- Tuesday, Sept. 22, 2020
- Tuesday, Dec. 8, 2020
- Tuesday, Feb. 2, 2021
- Tuesday, April 20, 2021
K-12 Articulated, Sequential School Counseling Programs
- Ethical Standards for School Counselors
- Competencies for School Counselors
- A Framework for Safe and Effective Schools
Iowa's Chapter 12 Interpretation Matrix - includes standards for school counseling programs
School Counselor as a Professional
Evaluation Supplement for School Counselors – Tool to support the administrator and the counselor through the evaluation process.
There are five institutions (listed in alphabetical order) that provide training and licensing in Iowa for School Counselors:
- Buena Vista University
- Drake University
- Loras College
- University of Iowa
- University of Northern Iowa
Professional Development of School Counselors
- ISCA Professional Development
- Iowa College Aid - Iowa College and Career Readiness Academy – A suite of Iowa-specific online courses for college access and success professionals.
- ISCA Annual Conference - Nov. 2-3, 2020
- ASCA Professional Development
- ASCA National Conference - July 11-14, 2021, Las Vegas, NV
- Evidence-Based School Counseling Conference - March 13-15, 2021, Ohio State
- National School Counseling Leadership Conferences - TBD - Subscribe to the mailing list to receive updates.
- School Counselor Academy 2020-21 - Contact your local AEA for information
- AEA Professional Learning Registration and Course Catalog - To view opportunities and register, individuals will need to log into the AEA Learning System website using their current user name and password. If a new account needs to be created, the content will not be accessible until the following business day.
Resources for Implementing Programs
College and Career Readiness
AEA Support Contacts
- Central Rivers AEA - Jo Prusha
- Grant Wood - Kelly Jones
- Great Prairie AEA - Jessica Vance
- Green Hills AEA - Andrea Danker
- Heartland AEA - Sue Schirmer
- Keystone AEA - Pat Lehmann
- Mississippi Bend AEA - David Ford
- Northwest AEA and Prairie Lakes - Mark Shea