Computer Science Professional Development Incentive Fund
On this page...
The Iowa Computer Science Professional Development Incentive Fund was established to assist schools in meeting the goal of the General Assembly, that by July 1, 2019, each accredited high school offer at least one high-quality computer science course, each accredited middle school offer instruction in exploratory computer science, and each accredited elementary school offer instruction in the basics of computer science.
Grant funds are made available to eligible Iowa school districts or accredited nonpublic schools, in a year in which funds are appropriated by the Iowa legislature, for the following two purposes:
- A school district or accredited nonpublic school, or a collaborative of one or more school districts, accredited nonpublic schools, and area education agencies, may apply to the department to receive moneys from the fund to provide proven professional development activities for Iowa teachers in the area of computer science education.
- A school district or accredited nonpublic school may apply to the department to receive moneys from the fund to provide tuition reimbursement for Iowa teachers seeking endorsements or authorizations for computer science under section 272.2, subsection 20.
The goal of this grant program is to build the capacity of Iowa schools to provide high quality computer science instruction. Funds must be used to supplement, not supplant, funds that would otherwise be used for the activities supported by the program.
Due Dates, Forms, and Guidance
Final grant awards are dependent upon the 2020 Legislature's approval of funding.
- Submit the Initial Application in IowaGrants.gov by May 20, 2019.
- Submit Mid-Year Status Report (Semi-Annual) in IowaGrants.gov by January 31, 2020.
- Submit Mid-Year (December 31) Claim report in IowaGrants.gov by February 20, 2020.
- Submit End-Of-Year Status Report (Final) in IowaGrants.gov by September 15, 2020.
- Submit End-Of-Fiscal-Year (June 30) Claim report in IowaGrants.gov by July 31, 2020.
- Submit Final (August 15) Claim report in IowaGrants.gov by September 15, 2020.
Grant Application and Implementation Guidance – Applicants should thoroughly read the Grant Application and Implementation Guidance prior to completing the Application and Budget forms in IowaGrants.gov.
Online Application Forms can be accessed on the IowaGrants.gov website.
New users: refer to the IowaGrants.gov - Grantee Instructions for Registering document for instructions on how to set up an account or transfer an account.
Laws, Rules, and Policy
Questions? Contact Wren Hoffman at firstname.lastname@example.org or 515-981-3306 regarding program questions, Larry Bice at email@example.com or 515-725-0101 regarding teacher endorsement or authorization questions, Deb Schroeder at firstname.lastname@example.org or 515-281-3146 regarding fiscal claims and questions pertaining to the IowaGrants.gov system, or Erika Cook at email@example.com or 515-419-1104 regarding administrative questions.