On this page...
As Iowa works to implement the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), as amended by the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA), the Iowa Department of Education (Department) is committed to assisting area education agencies (AEAs), school districts (also referred to as local education agencies [LEAs]), and schools in understanding and using their federal funds appropriately. Here you will find:
- Federal program contact information,
- Up-to-date title-specific guidance, and
- General ESSA resources to help in implementing and applying for federal funds.
|ESEA Title Program||Consultant|
|Equitable Services for Nonpublic School Students||Rachel Bosovich, State Ombudsperson|
|Title I, Section 1003—School Improvement||Stacie Stokes|
|Title I, Part A (Title IA)—Title I, Part A—Improving Basic Programs Operated by LEAs||Veronica Andersen|
|Title I, Part C (Title IC)—Education of Migratory Children||Rachel Pettigrew|
|Title I, Part D, Subpart 1 (Title ID1)—Neglected, Delinquent, and At-Risk State Agency Programs||Elisa Koler|
|Title I, Part D, Subpart 2 (Title ID2)—Neglected, Delinquent, and At-Risk Local Agency Programs||Elisa Koler|
|Title II, Part A (Title IIA)—Supporting Effective Instruction||Amy Huebner|
|Title III, Part A (Title IIIA)—English Learners||Rachel Pettigrew|
|Title III, Part A (Title IIIA)—Immigrant Students||Rachel Pettigrew|
Title IV, Part A (Title IVA)—Student Support and Academic Enrichment
Title IV, Part B (Title IVB)—21st Century Community Learning Centers
|Title V, Part B, Subpart 2 (Title VB2)—Rural and Low-Income Schools Program*||Teresa Garcia|
|McKinney-Vento Homeless Education||Isbelia Arzola|
|Education of Students in Foster Care||Elisa Koler|
*Title V, Part B, Subpart 1 - Small, Rural School Achievement Program contact information is intentionally omitted as funds flow directly to eligible LEAs.
General ESSA Guidance and Resources
- Carryover Limits and Unused Equitable Services and PowerPoint Slides (1-11-22) - Provides districts and nonpublic schools with information on the new caps to carryover for federal title programs effective July 1, 2023 (Fiscal Year 2024) and its impact on nonpublic schools’ ability to carry forward unused equitable services.
- ESSA Use of Federal Grant Funds for Food or Drinks Guidance - Provides guidance on the allowability of using federal funds for food and drinks related to professional development activities and travel costs.
- Using Federal Funds for Professional Development Stipends Guidance - Provides guidance on when it is allowable to use federal grant funds for stipends related to professional development.
- Quarterly Claim General Ledger Requirements Guidance (and General Ledger Example)
Equitable Services for Nonpublic School Students
District Nonpublic Consultation Agreement Content (Updated 03-03-23)
Title I, Section 1003—School Improvement
- Title I, Section 1003 Executive Summary and Title I, Section 1003 Guidance - Summarizes what is required to receive school improvement funds.
- 22-23 Title I, Section 1003 School Improvement Allocations
- Title I, Section 1003 - School Improvement Application Content
- ESSA Support Site - Website provides resources aligned with the required and optional school improvement components for schools in Iowa's ESSA Plan.
- ESSA Accountability Index: Identification for ESSA Assistance - Provides a visual of how schools are identified for Comprehensive and Targeted assistance in Years 1 and 3 of ESSA. Please note that the graduation rate is 67.1%, not 66%.
- ESSA Fact Sheet - Provides an overview of Iowa’s school accountability and support system.
Title I, Part A—Improving Basic Programs Operated by LEAs
- Title IA Guidance - Summarizes what is required to receive Title IA funds.
- Title IA Schoolwide Guidance - Provides the requirements to upgrade the entire educational program in a school.
- Parent and Family Engagement
- Policy Self-Checklist and Sample - Provides a family and parent engagement policy checklist and a sample policy to assist in fulfilling policy requirements.
- Building-Level Regulation - Provides the text of the building-level regulation that requires district superintendents to engage parents and family members within the district.
- Districtwide Policy - Provides a form to create a required parent and family engagement policy.
- 23-24 Title IA Allocations - Please note that the amounts available for equitable services to nonpublic schools will be posted after the close of the Set-Asides and Building Shares collection.
- Title IA Basic Application Content
- Title IA Basic Programs - Set-Asides and Building Shares Content
Title I, Part C—Education of Migratory Children
- Title IC Guidance and Executive Summary - Summarizes what is required of school districts to receive Title I, Part C funds and provides examples of allowable activities.
- 23-24 Title IC Allocations
- Title IC Application Content
Title I, Part D, Subpart 1—Neglected, Delinquent, and At-Risk State Agency Programs
- Title ID1 Guidance - Summarizes what is required of state agencies to receive neglected and delinquent funds.
- 23-24 Title ID1 Allocations
- Title ID1 Application Content
Title I, Part D, Subpart 2—Neglected, Delinquent, and At-Risk Local Agency Programs
- Title ID2 Executive Summary - Provides a high-level overview of what is required of local agencies to receive funds.
- 23-24 Title ID2 Allocations
- Title ID2 Application Content
Title II, Part A—Supporting Effective Instruction
- Title IIA Guidance - Summarizes what is required to receive Title IIA funds.
- 23-24 Title IIA Allocations
- Title IIA Application Content
Title III, Part A—English Learners
- Title IIIA English Learners and Immigrant Students Guidance - Summarizes what is required to receive funds.
- Serving Nonpublic School English Learners - Outlines the steps a district and accredited nonpublic school should follow when serving nonpublic English learners.
- 23-24 Title IIIA—English Learners Allocations
- Title IIIA - English Learners Application Content
- Title IIIA Single Grant Eligibility Business Rules
- Title III Resources
Title III, Part A—Immigrant Students
- Title IIIA English Learners and Immigrant Students Guidance - Provides a high-level overview of the requirements to receive Title IIIA Immigrant Students funds.
- 23-24 Title IIIA—Immigrant Students Allocations
- Title IIIA - Immigrant Application Content
- Title III Resources
Title IV, Part A—Student Support and Academic Enrichment
- Title IVA Executive Summary and Title IVA Guidance - Summarizes what is required of school districts to receive Title IV, Part A (Title IVA) funds and provides examples of allowable activities.
- Determining Allowability of Title IVA Activities Guidance - Provides school districts with information to assist in understanding how the Department determines if an activity is allowable under Title IV, Part A.
- Title IVA Fine Arts Guidance - Provides districts, and consortia of districts, guidance on potential opportunities to utilize Title IVA funds to create and/or expand fine arts opportunities, programming, and training in their respective communities.
- 23-24 Title IVA Allocations
- Title IVA - Student Support and Academic Enrichment Application Content
- Title IVA Annual Report and Intent to Form a Consortium - Outlines the content for the required Title IV, Part A survey.
- U.S. Department of Education Title IVA Resources
- Title IVA Technical Assistance Center (T4PA Center)
Title IV, Part B—21st Century Community Learning Centers
- Title IVB Executive Summary and Title IVB Guidance - Summarizes what is required of school districts to receive Title IV, Part B (Title IVB) funds.
- 23-24 Title IVB—21st Century Community Learning Centers Allocations
- 23-24 Title IVB—Out-of-School Time Career Pathway Program Allocations
- Title IVB - 21st Century Community Learning Centers Application Content
- Title IVB 21st CCLC Resources
Title V, Part B, Subpart 1—Small, Rural School Achievement Program
- Title VB1 Allocations may be found on the U.S. Department of Education’s website, as funds are provided directly to eligible LEAs.
Title V, Part B, Subpart 2—Rural and Low-Income School Program
- 23-24 Title VB2 Allocations
- Title VB2 - Rural and Low-Income School Application Content
McKinney-Vento Homeless Education
- McKinney-Vento Guidance - Provides a high-level overview of the requirements to receive McKinney-Vento funds.
- 23-24 McKinney-Vento Allocations
- McKinney-Vento Application Content
- McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Resources
Education of Students in Foster Care
- Education of Children in Foster Care - Webpage aims to assist state and local partners in understanding and implementing the new law and inform state and local collaboration between educational and child welfare agencies across the nation for the well-being of children in foster care.