Emergency Relief for PK-12 Schools
On this page...
The purpose of this webpage is to provide school districts and pre-kindergarten to 12th grade (PK-12) schools with information and guidance related to the state’s emergency relief packages:
- Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act
- GEER I (Governor’s Emergency Education Relief)
- ESSER I (Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief)
- Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations (CRRSA) Act of 2021
- GEER II
- Competitive Subgrants for Mental Health Supports for Public PK-12 Schools
- EANS I (Emergency Assistance to Nonpublic Schools)
- ESSER II
- GEER II
- American Rescue Plan (ARP) Act of 2021
- ESSER III (or ARP ESSER)
- ARP Homeless Children and Youth (ARP-HCY)
- EANS II (or ARP EANS)
- ARP Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA)
ARP Act for PK-12 Schools
ESSER III and Evidence-Based Interventions (7-23-21) - Provides new evidence-based requirements included in the ESSER III Fund for Iowa’s school districts.
- Reviewed Evidence-Based Practices and Critical Learning Concepts (8-11-21) - Lists reviewed evidence-based practices or programs (EBPs) and critical learning concepts (CLCs) that meet the ESSER III evidence-based requirements and are considered practices with Tier 1 (i.e., strong) evidence.
- Reviewed List of Nationally Peer-Reviewed Clearinghouses of Evidence-Based Interventions (8-11-21) - Provides a source of clearinghouses that met the Department’s established criteria for EBPs that address unfinished learning and respond to students’ social, emotional, mental health, and academic needs. For the details of the review process, see the Evidence-Based Practice Clearinghouse Review Process.
ESSER III State and Local Plan Requirements (5-19-21) - Summarizes the state and local plan requirements to receive the remaining third of ESSER III funds.
- ESSER III State Plan (7-15-21) - Provides Iowa's state plan for its use of ESSER III funds and includes Iowa's mode of instruction data (see Appendix A).
- Part II of the ESSER III District Plan (7-2-21) - Provides the ESSER III district plan content and requirements.
- Part I of the ESSER III District Plan (5-19-21) - Provides the list of assurances, including acknowledgment of Part II plan requirements.
ESSER III Guidance (4-12-21) - Provides a preliminary summary of the ESSER III provision of the ARP Act.
- ESSER III Allocations (4-12-21)
Recorded Webinars About ARP Act
Aug. 17 - An overview of the EBPs to assist school districts in submitting their ESSER III Fund plan and in implementing the plan through fall 2024.
July 29 - Assists districts and schools in understanding and implementing the ESSER III evidence-based intervention requirements related to addressing unfinished learning. PowerPoint from July 29 webinar.
May 20 - Discussion of new guidance regarding state and local district plans required by the U.S. Department of Education’s new interim final requirements and steps that must be completed to receive the remaining third of funds provided through the ESSER III Fund.
April 13 - Information on the ARP Act's ESSER Fund III guidance and includes answers to questions about funding allocations to districts, allowable use of funds, coding, and reporting. PowerPoint from April 13 webinar.
GEER II Guidance (4-15-21) - Provides a preliminary summary of the discretionary portion of GEER II, which will be awarded as competitive grants to public PK-12 districts and institutions of higher education.
- Competitive Grants for Mental Health Supports for Public PK-12 Schools (4-30-21)
- GEER II - Competitive Grants for Mental Health Supports for Public PK-12 Schools Grant Application Content (4-30-21)
- Governor’s Emergency Education Relief Fund II Application Requirements (4-30-21)
Emergency Assistance for Nonpublic Schools (4-15-21) - Provides information regarding the EANS program, which allows eligible nonpublic schools to apply directly to the Department to receive services and assistance related to educational disruptions caused by COVID-19 instead of receiving equitable services from the district. This guidance has been updated to reflect the U.S. Department of Education’s March 2021 revisions to the EANS frequently asked question document and questions from the field.
- EANS Allocations (4-15-21) - Provides participating nonpublic buildings with the final allocation amount available for assistance and services.
ESSER II Guidance: Use of Funds and Expenditures (3-8-21) - Provides districts with examples of allowable uses of ESSER II funds. While the focus of this document is on ESSER II, most requirements also apply to ESSER I.
CARES/CRRSA Funding (1-19-21)- Provides a summary of all funds districts received, and nonpublic schools received in equitable services, during COVID-19.
ESSER II (1-11-21) - Provides a preliminary summary of the CRRSA Act's ESSER Fund II and its requirements.
- ESSER Fund II Allocations - Provides districts with the amounts they can expect to receive in supplemental ESSER II relief. Please note that nonpublic schools are not eligible for services under this program but, instead, are eligible under the GEER Fund II.
Recorded Webinars About CRRSA Act
Jan. 14 - Information on the new Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations (CRRSA) Act of 2021's ESSER Fund II guidance. This session also includes answers to questions about funding allocations to districts, allowable use of funds, coding, and reporting. PowerPoint from January 14 webinar.
CARES Act for PK-12 Schools
CARES/CRRSA Funding (2-15-21) - Provides a summary of all funds districts received, and nonpublic schools received in equitable services, during COVID-19.
CARES Act Guidance: ESSER Distribution and ESEA Waivers* (5-5-20) - Addresses district allocations and the application for emergency relief funds, district reporting and accounting requirements and waivers of current requirements under ESEA for the 2019-2020 school year. *This document is translated into Arabic, Karen, Spanish and Swahili.
- CARES Act ESSER Fund Allocations and Equitable Shares - Federal - Provides both the total district allocation and the amount of the allocation that is reserved for districts to provide equitable services to the participating nonpublic’s students, teachers and families.
- CARES Act ESSER Fund Allocations - State - Provides both the allocations for districts and the allocations for services to the participating nonpublic’s students, teachers, and families.
- CARES Act GEER Fund Allocations - Provides both the allocations for districts and the allocations for services to the participating nonpublic’s students, teachers and families.
CARES Act Summary for K-12 Schools* (4-10-20) - Provides a preliminary summary of the provisions in the CARES Act that specifically relate to kindergarten through 12th grade schools across the country. This document is translated into Arabic, Spanish and Vietnamese.