Iowa Evaluator Approval and Training
On this page...
Evaluator Training 2019-20 Course Schedule
Evaluator Training 2019-20 Course Schedule – provider, dates, locations, etc.
Evaluator Approval Options for 2019-20
The courses identified on the "Course Schedule" are approved by the DE for evaluator approval credit. For more information regarding the courses, contact the provider or see information provided on the AEA Professional Learning Course Registration link.
(2-renewal credits) – A required course for individuals seeking an Iowa evaluators license for the first time. Experienced evaluators are welcome to enroll. The course provides beginning and experienced evaluators an opportunity to focus on the critical elements of an educator evaluation system in Iowa:
- Iowa’s model for Educator Quality (Chapter 83 of Iowa Administrative Rules)
- Knowledge & Skills of a Quality Evaluator and Attributes of Effective Evaluation System:
- Professional Educator Standards: Iowa Teaching Standards and Criteria (ITSC) / Iowa Standards for School Leaders (ISSL)
- Data and Information from Multiple Sources
- Formal and Informal Observations
- Coaching for Educator Excellences
- Professional Development for Improving Practice and Student Learning
- Complete a series of online assignments (e.g., forum discussions, reading, scenarios, reflecting, responding, observing, planning, videotaping, etc.) during the eight-week course.
Designing an Iowa Evaluator Approval Training Course
An Evaluator Approval Training Proposal may be developed and submitted by an Area Education Agency, a local school district, an Iowa accredited university/college, and educational organization, or a consortium of these educational agencies or organizations. The evaluator training course needs to enhance an evaluator’s knowledge and skills to:
- Identify quality instructional or leadership practices
- Use multiple forms of data
- Understand and develop conferencing and feedback skills
- Employ data-based decision-making skills
Providers/designers must use the Designing an Iowa Evaluator Approval Training Course guidance that outlines the process to be consider for approval from the Iowa Department of Education.