Children Five Years Old - Information for Families
By 5 Years Old
- Help me understand and follow a few simple "rules"
- Read, read, read to me
- Point out words and familiar symbols for me to name
- Sort and count all kinds of household things with me
- Talk about things that are "in, out, on, under, and behind"
- Let me help plan activities and events
- Catch me being good and encourage all of the good things I do
My Family Can:
- Pay attention to me when I’m talking and add a little "new information
- Let me dress myself but help with buttons and zippers
- Understand that I still might have nighttime "accidents"
- Give me opportunities to play with other children my age
- Help me understand about how others have "feelings"
- Let me help you with things the grown ups do
- Give me crayons and markers so that I can practice "drawing"
Health and Safety:
- I still need to ride in the back seat with seat belt buckled
- Help me learn my full name and address
- Talk to me about our fire plan at home
- I need 9 or 10 hours of sleep at night
- I like plain and simple food with balanced meals
- I need milk, juice, and water rather than pop or tea
- I’ll need all my immunizations up to date to start school
- Continue my "well-child" check-ups with my