Iowa History Advisory Council
On this page...
The Iowa History Advisory Council will work to examine issues around the teaching and learning of Iowa history and make recommendations to improve Iowa history education at the K-12 level across the state. The council will focus on the following objectives:
- Identify the current status of the teaching of Iowa history and the resources available regarding K-12 Iowa history instruction.
- Identify current materials that are dedicated to the teaching of Iowa history at the K-12 level.
- Study how other states and organizations implement state and local history.
- Study best practices for the teaching and learning of state and local history.
- Provide recommendations around how to advance the study of Iowa history at the K-12 level.
- November 20, 2015
- January 14, 2016
- March 1, 2016
- May 3, 2016
- Bryan Bauer, Iowa Public Television
- Mike Chapman, Author
- Jennifer Cooley, State Historical Museum
- Andy Duffelmeyer, Iowa Civil Rights Commission
- Bill Friedricks, Iowa History Center, Simpson College
- Cindy Hall, Iowa Ag Literacy Foundation
- Jason Harshman, University of Iowa
- Kim Heckart, Teacher, College Community Schools
- Jacob Hunter, World Food Prize
- Dan Jones, Living History Farms
- Leo Landis, State Historical Museum
- Michele Mead, Teacher, Des Moines Public Schools
- Cara Miller, Silos and Smokestacks
- Tom Morain, Graceland University
- Cheryl Mullenbach, Author
- Don Peterson, Geographic Alliance of Iowa
- Denise Rehmke, Iowa Library Association
- Katy Swalwell, Iowa State University
- Michael Swanger, Iowa History Journal
- Cyndi Sweet, Iowa Museum Association
- Allie Tubbs, Student
- Michael Vogt, Iowa Gold Star Museum
- John Wheeler, Iowa Bar Association
- Janet Wills, Teacher, Southeast Valley Schools
- Tammy Yentis, Iowa Jewish Historical Society