Iowa Consortium for Higher Education in Prisons
The Iowa Consortium for Higher Education in Prison is dedicated to providing high quality and accessible educational opportunities, successful reentry of returning citizens and the restoration of personal dignity for incarcerated individuals.
The Iowa Consortium for Higher Education in Prison recognizes and supports the rehabilitative power of postsecondary instruction for incarcerated students. As such, the Consortium, and its respective members, strive to provide high quality programs and services to this student population. The Consortium is dedicated to providing high quality and accessible higher education options, successful reentry of returning citizens in Iowa and the restoration of personal dignity and opportunity for incarcerated students. We also recognize the talent and contributions of incarcerated students to institutions of higher learning.
Definition and Purpose
The Iowa Consortium for Higher Education in Prison is a collaborative organization of institutions of higher education, the Iowa Department of Corrections, Iowa Department of Education and the Iowa Board of Regents. All colleges and universities offering postsecondary credit and non-credit CTE and academic programs in Iowa correctional facilities will be approved by the Iowa Department of Corrections based on recommendations of the active members in the Iowa Consortium for Higher Education in Prison. The Consortium is designed to:
- establish the process through which postsecondary programs are considered and approved;
- develop governance processes for the Consortium;
- provide high quality educational opportunities;
- share information between member colleges;
- increase articulation of students among the member colleges and universities and correctional institutions;
- urge legislators to continue state and federal financial support;
- identify and/or develop funding sources;
- cultivate constituency relations, and
- work to develop effective DOC policies and procedures for serving incarcerated students.
Participating institutions will maintain the integrity of their separate programs and governance structures. All institutions in the Consortium must maintain accreditation by the Higher Learning Commission and be appropriately authorized to operate postsecondary educational programs in the State of Iowa.
ICHEP Board Meeting: Friday, October 14, 2022 - 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
ICHEP Quarterly Conference: Wednesday, October 26, 2022 - 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
Southeastern Community College
- Chair, Janet Shepherd, Vice President of Academic Affairs
- Vice Chair, Emily Guenther, Director of Prison Programs
Iowa Central Community College
- Secretary/Treasurer, Kelsey Casey, Correctional Facilities Program Coordinator
Des Moines Area Community College
- Abby Zegers, Executive Director of Higher Education in Prisons & Adult Literacy
Iowa Western Community College
- Matt Mancuso, Executive Director of Economic and Workforce Development
Kirkwood Community College
- Amanda Humphrey, Interim Dean of Social Sciences
University of Iowa
- Andrew Beckett, Associate Dean
Iowa Board of Regents
- Rachel Boon, Chief Academic Officer
Iowa Department of Education
- Alex Harris, State Director for Adult Education
Iowa Department of Corrections
- Sandra Smith, Correctional Education Director