Computer Science Work Group
The Computer Science Work Group was created by House File 2629, the most recent Future Ready Iowa bill. The work group’s two charges are: (1) Develop recommendations to strengthen computer science instruction, and (2) design a campaign promoting computer science to students and parents. Recommendations are due to the General Assembly by July 1, 2021.
The work group will help drive momentum for the landmark computer science measures in the bill including:
- High schools must offer at least one computer science course by July 1, 2022.
- Elementary and middle schools must provide computer science instruction in at least one grade level each by July 1, 2023.
- School districts and accredited nonpublic schools must develop and implement their own K-12 computer science plans by July 1, 2022.
- The Department of Education must develop and implement a statewide K-12 computer science plan by July 1, 2022.
Meeting Dates, Agendas and Notes
Jan. 12, 2021
Dec. 8, 2020
- Kathleen Kay, Chief Information Officer, Principal Financial
- Jeff Weld, Executive Director, Governor’s STEM Advisory Council
- Linda Fandel, Governor’s Liaison for Future Ready Iowa, Office of the Governor of Iowa
- Wren Hoffman, Computer Science Consultant, Iowa Department of Education
- Wendy Batchelder, Chief Data Officer, VMware
- Dan Carver, K-5 Computer Science Teacher, Carlisle Elementary School/Hartford Upper Elementary School, Carlisle Community School District
- David Collison, Senior Vice President, Applications Development ITS, Inc./SHAZAM
- Nicole Crain, Executive Vice President, Iowa Association of Business and Industry
- Samantha Dahlby, Director of K-12 Education, NewBoCo
- Jacquie Drey, K-4 STEM Teacher, Storm Lake Elementary School, Storm Lake Community School District
- Annette Dunn, Director, Office of the Chief Information Officer, State of Iowa
- Debi Durham, Director, Iowa Economic Development Authority, Iowa Finance Authority
- Dan Greteman, Vice President, CIO, Ruan
- Dee Hamlett, Computer Science Technology Teacher, St. Joseph Catholic School
- Denise Hoag, Computer Science Teacher, Thomas Jefferson High School, Council Bluffs Community School District
- Doug Jacobson, Electrical and Computer Engineering Professor, Iowa State University
- Ann Lebo, Director, Iowa Department of Education
- Joe Murphy, Executive Director, Iowa Business Council
- Samuel Padilla, Morningside College Senior/Co-founder, Steven Mentor
- Melissa Pettigrew, Software Engineer, Principal Financial
- Kyle Rector, Computer Science Assistant Professor, University of Iowa
- Ryan Schaap, Chief Information Officer, Wells Enterprises, Inc.
- J. Ben Schafer, Computer Science Associate Professor, University of Northern Iowa
- Lance Stonehocker, Information Technology Systems Networking Instructor, Southwestern Community College
- Robert Stough, Computer Science Teacher, Clear Lake High School, Clear Lake Community School District
- Joe Stutting, Superintendent, North Scott Community School District
- Beth Townsend, Director, Iowa Workforce Development
- Timothy Urness, Computer Science Professor, Drake University
- Brian Waller, President, Technology Association of Iowa