A free anonymous K-12 school safety reporting system is now available to help prevent violence, unlawful possession of weapons, self-harm and other forms of victimization and threatening behaviors in schools across the state.
The Governor’s School Safety Bureau is making Safe+Sound Iowa available to students, school staff, parents and concerned community members to help identify and provide intervention for students in crisis before they hurt themselves or others. Reports of safety concerns can be made securely and anonymously three ways:
- Downloading and using the free Safe+Sound Iowa app
- Going to SafeandSoundIowa.gov, or
- Calling 800-224-6018
Trained dispatchers monitor reports made through Safe+Sound Iowa 24/7 and immediately engage in two-way communication with those raising concerns to ensure the information is vetted. Dispatchers then share information with the appropriate local school safety contact, law enforcement or other community partners so outreach and support can be provided to the student in crisis.
For schools participating in the Safe+Sound Iowa program, a variety of helpful resources are available to help train staff and encourage students and others to use the reporting tools available, including:
- Brief “How-To” Video demonstrating how to use the Safe+Sound Iowa app and submit a report
- Easy “How It Works” Guidebook detailing what Safe+Sound Iowa is and how it works, with answers to frequently asked questions
- Introductory PowerPoint introducing Safe+Sound Iowa to with tips on how to use it, and how to talk about it with parents, students and the community to encourage awareness and use
- Informational One Sheet about Safe+Sound Iowa to post or share with others
- Downloadable Posters for print and use in promoting Safe+Sound Iowa to middle and high school students
- Social Media Toolkit to post content on social media channels that informs and amplifies core messages, and allows constituents to repost content
- Branded Digital Graphics in a variety of sizes to reinforce messages on websites, newsletters and correspondence
- Message templates for school administrators to use when communicating to teachers and staff and parents about Safe+Sound Iowa being made available in your district
School districts and communities are encouraged to become familiar with these materials. Additional tools will continue to be added to SafeandSoundIowa.gov to help support promotion and adoption of the program, so continue to check back often.
Safe+Sound Iowa is a valuable resource in supporting schools, local law enforcement and other community partners in working together to prevent and protect against acts of violence. Schools may opt-in at any time.
If your school has chosen not to participate, you will still want to be notified when a threat impacts one of your schools. For that reason, the Governor’s School Safety Bureau asks you to complete this School Safety Contact Form, if you have not done so already, so that you can be notified if a report impacts one of your district’s students or buildings. To learn more about providing contacts, see the Frequently Asked Questions.
If you have any questions about Safe+Sound Iowa, contact the Governor’s School Safety Bureau Chief Don Schnitker by email or phone at 515-725-1150, or Iowa Department of Education Legislative Liaison Eric St Clair by email or phone at 515-326-0274.
If you missed the live press conference, you can watch a recording of the official Safe+Sound Iowa launch.