The state of Iowa has 9 semifinalists for the prestigious 2019 U.S. Presidential Scholars program.
- Jillian Baker, North Liberty - West High School
- Astoria Chao, Cedar Falls - Cedar Falls High School
- Akash Gururaja, Cedar Rapids - Linn-Mar High School
- Colin McDonald, Tiffin - McDonald Home School
- James Meng, West Des Moines - Valley High School
- ** Jaxon Mullinnix, Lone Tree - Lone Tree High School
- ** Megan Niewoehner, Hawkeye - Sumner-Fredericksburg High School
- Katherine Grace Timboe, West Des Moines - Dowling High School
- ** Shelby Ann Westhoff, Dyersville - Beckman High School
The 2019 US Presidential Scholars are scheduled to be announced on May 7 or 8.
The U.S. Presidential Scholars Program was established in 1964, by executive order of the President, to recognize and honor some of our nation's most distinguished graduating high school seniors. In 1979, the program was extended to recognize students who demonstrate exceptional talent in the visual, creative and performing arts. In 2015, the program was again extended to recognize students who demonstrate ability and accomplishment in career and technical education fields. Each year, up to 161 students are named as Presidential Scholars, one of the nation's highest honors for high school students.
Learn more about the program and view a complete list of national, 2019 Presidential Scholar Semifinalists.
* Candidate for U.S. Presidential Scholar in Arts.
** Candidate for U.S. Presidential Scholar in Career and Technical Education
*** Candidate for U.S. Presidential Scholar and Presidential Scholar in the Arts
**** Candidate for U.S. Presidential Scholar and Presidential Scholar in Career & Technical Education