Celebrating successes and preparing for opportunities ahead
As we close out this school year, I am grateful for the hard work of our school administrators, educators and staff who pulled together to help our students, families and each other. You found new ideas and inspiration through each challenge and accomplished more than you thought possible. For all of that, and so much more, I want to simply say thank you.
I encourage each of you to find time to reflect, disconnect, and recharge over the summer and look forward to the opportunities that lie before us to reimagine how we support students and our schools. Leveraging all that we learned this past year and prioritizing our resources will help us drive our educational priorities moving forward.
To address some of our highest need state-level educational challenges, a comprehensive and coordinated network of professional learning, training, coaching and support will help ensure schools have the resources and support needed to meet the needs of students and families. Some of these priority areas will include:
- Strategies and coaching for accelerating learning and supporting social-emotional-behavioral health;
- A framework for Iowa districts to address the essential needs of students from early childhood through college and career;
- An online learning content exchange through Iowa eLearning Central and technology access and support;
- A statewide focus on the importance of early literacy instruction and use of the state’s early warning system to guide district practices; and
- Professional learning academies for district and school leaders focused on all of the priority areas outlined above.
We will be sharing more information on each of these priority areas in the months ahead and look forward to our continued collaborations. As we plan for more interactive communications and different ways to stay in touch, we are going to transition School Leader Update to a quarterly publication. We look forward to sharing our next edition in August, as we prepare to start the new school year.
Thank you for your partnership, your engagement and your efforts to ensure each student has the best educational experience possible. Have a wonderful summer!