Choose Iowa Student Culinary Competition results are in!
The Iowa Department of Education hosted a Choose Iowa Culinary Competition for high school students enrolled in a culinary arts class or foods-based course through a school’s family and consumer sciences program. The concept for the competition was to plan a recipe that featured a local food item and follows the USDA school meal guidelines. Through a competitive review process, the top 12 recipes have been identified:
- Chicken Ramen - East Mills CSD
- Chicken and Veggie Quesadilla - Grinnell Newburg CSD
- Iowa Gourmet Crispito - Dallas Center Grimes CSD
- Easy Cheesy Breakfast Bake - Grinnell Newburg CSD
- Chicken Tikka Masala - Grinnell Newburg CSD
- Chicken Lo Mein - Grinnell Newburg CSD
- Chicken Bacon Grits - Grinnell Newburg CSD
- Super Potstickers - Shenandoah CSD
- Snappy Pork Meatballs - Kuemper Catholic
- Zucchini Pasta - Grinnell Newburg CSD
- Apple Cinnamon Crumb Muffins - Grinnell Newburg CSD
The recipes will be tested and standardized to be used by school nutrition programs across the state and country. The students that submitted the top 12 recipes are invited to be part of a virtual culinary competition to determine 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners. Their school will receive a $2,000 sub-grant to support collaborative activities with their school nutrition program. This project was funded with a USDA Team Nutrition Grant.
Choose Iowa™ is a program of the Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship.