Six Iowa schools named National Blue Ribbon Schools
Six Iowa schools are being recognized by the U.S. Department of Education as National Blue Ribbon Schools for 2020. The award honors schools for overall academic performance or for progress in closing achievement gaps among subgroups of students. The schools are:
- Altoona Elementary School, Southeast Polk Community School District
- James B. Rue Elementary School, Council Bluffs Community School District
- Maquoketa Valley Middle School, Maquoketa Valley Community School District
- Murray Elementary School, Murray Community School District
- Woodrow Wilson Elementary School, Newton Community School District
- St Francis Of Assisi School, West Des Moines, Diocese of Des Moines
“We congratulate Iowa’s Blue Ribbon Schools for their achievements in ensuring all students are engaged and learning,” said Iowa Department of Education Director Ann Lebo. “These schools are making sure their students are poised to meet the challenges of the future.”
More than 9,000 schools nationwide have received the National Blue Ribbon Schools award, which is now in its 38th year. The award recognizes schools in one of two performance categories based on all student scores, student subgroup scores and graduation rates:
- Exemplary High Performing Schools are among their state’s highest-performing schools as measured by state assessments or nationally normed tests.
- Exemplary Achievement Gap Closing Schools are among their state’s highest-performing schools in closing achievement gaps between a school’s student groups and all students.
The U.S. Department of Education will celebrate 367 National Blue Ribbon Schools, including Iowa’s, during a virtual ceremony Nov. 12 and 13.
The Department invites National Blue Ribbon School nominations from the top education official in all states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, the Department of Defense Education Activity and the Bureau of Indian Education. Nonpublic schools are nominated by The Council for American Private Education (CAPE).