5 Iowa summer food programs are honored
Five Iowa school districts have been recognized by the U.S. Department of Agriculture for their summer food programs.
The schools received the Turnip the Beet award by the USDA, which recognizes summer meal program sponsors who work hard to provide nutritious and appealing meals to students, many of whom could go without meals while school is not in session.
The Iowa districts recognized are:
- Waukee Community School District
- Nevada Community School District
- Council Bluffs Community School District
- Newton Community School District
- Storm Lake Community School District
These five sponsors are among an elite group of 118 award-winning sponsors nationwide.
To be considered for the award, the USDA examines menus that include locally produced foods, a wide variety of entrees, and inclusion of fruits and vegetables.