Director Wise announces members of new Dyslexia Task Force
Tuesday, October 2, 2018
Iowa Department of Education Director Ryan Wise today announced members of a new state task force that will study the needs of students with dyslexia.
The Dyslexia Task Force, established as part of Senate File 2360, will consider issues such as student screening, interventions, teacher preparation and professional development, classroom accommodations, and assistive technology. Recommendations are due by Nov. 15, 2019.
“Dyslexia impacts thousands of children across the state, and I’m excited about this opportunity to bring together a group of knowledgeable, passionate Iowans to help make progress in meeting our students’ needs,” Wise said. “This work also aligns with Iowa’s early literacy initiative to ensure all students are reading on grade level by the end of third grade.”
Members will meet initially via video conferencing from 8 to 10 a.m. on the following dates:
- Oct. 3: To join from a computer, visit: https://zoom.us/j/238421782
To join by phone, call 1-646-876-9923. When prompted, enter code 238 421 782 #.
- Oct. 10: To join from a computer, visit: https://zoom.us/j/138513442
To join by phone, call 1-646-876-9923. When prompted, enter code 138 513 442 #.
The task force’s first three in-person meetings have been scheduled from 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. on Nov. 1, Nov. 30, and Dec. 14. Locations and other details will be posted on the Iowa Department of Education’s Dyslexia Task force webpage. All meetings are open to the public.
Task force members are:
- Lonna Anderson, Great Prairie Area Education Agency
- Helen Blitvich, Decoding Dyslexia Iowa
- Amy Conrad, University of Iowa
- Amy Dahlke, Decoding Dyslexia Iowa
- Sue Etscheidt, University of Northern Iowa
- Katie Greving, Decoding Dyslexia Iowa
- Elizabeth Hoksbergen, Apples of Gold Center for Learning, Inc.
- Erin Klopstad, Nevada Community School District
- Cindy Lewis, Pleasant Valley Community School District
- Kirstin Orton, Heartland Area Education Agency
- Deborah Reed, Iowa Reading Research Center
- Kim Schmidt, Odebolt Arthur Battle Creek Ida Grove Community School District
- David Tilly, Iowa Department of Education