Director Wise convenes team to recommend physical education and health standards for schools
DES MOINES – Iowa Department of Education Director Ryan Wise today announced members of a new team that will review and recommend statewide standards for physical education and health. The Physical Education and Health Standards Review Team will meet for the first time Thursday, Sept. 6.
The team was created in response to public support for offering standards that go beyond the mandatory subject areas of English language arts, mathematics, science, social studies and 21st century skills.
“Our goal is to ensure students have access to a high-quality learning experience in all subjects, including physical education and health,” Iowa Department of Education Director Ryan Wise said. “The development of statewide standards will further strengthen instruction in these important subjects.”
Later this fall, the review team will seek public input through an online survey as well as regional meetings. The team will make a recommendation to the State Board of Education next year. If adopted, physical education and health standards will be optional for school districts.
Meeting details are as follows:
- September 6
- October 11
- November 15
- December 7
- January 10
- February 21
All meetings are 9:30 to 3:30 p.m. at Grand View University’s Student Center (Room 201).
The team members are:
- Brian Rhoads, West Des Moines Community School District, Professional Development/Curriculum Facilitator K-12/Physical Education Teacher 10-12
- Pam Richards, Central College Associate Professor, Exercise Science
- Charity Campbell, Norwalk Community School District, Physical Education Teacher
- Kurt Denahy, Clinton High School, Clinton Community School District, Wellness Teacher
- Erin Drinnin, United Way of Central Iowa, Community Impact Officer, Health
- Cindy Elsbernd, Iowa KidStrong, Inc., Founder/CEO
- Stacy Frelund, American Heart Association, Iowa Government Relations Director
- Neil Gray, Northeast Community School District, Superintendent
- Jan Grenko Lehman, Iowa Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance, Physical Education Teacher/Coordinator
- Donna Heying, Keystone Area Education Agency, Special Education Consultant
- 1SG Jesse Howard, Middletown Army Reserve/Iowa National Guard, Recruiting and Retention Non-Commissioned Officer in Charge (NCOIC)
- Craig Johnston, Central Springs High School, Central Springs Community School District, Physical Education Teacher
- Jodi Larson, Ankeny Centennial High School, Ankeny Community School District, Physical Education and Health Teacher
- Betsy Luck, Oskaloosa Middle School, Oskaloosa Community School District, Physical Education Teacher
- Jesse Nitchals, Estherville Lincoln Central Community School District, Physical Education Teacher
- Carlye Satterwhite, Des Moines Public Schools, Curriculum – Physical Education & Health
- Sarah Taylor Watts, Iowa Department of Public Health, Physical Activity Coordinator
- Shari Walling, Summit Middle School, Johnston Community School District, Physical Education and Health Teacher
- Jeff Workman, Durant Community School District, Physical Education Teacher