Congratulations to Iowa's U.S. Presidential Scholar Semifinalists
The state of Iowa has 10 semifinalists for the prestigious 2018 U.S. Presidential Scholars program.
- Blaise F. Fangman, Masonville ‐ East Buchanan Community High School
- Hermela Gebremariam, Fairfield ‐ Fairfield Community High School
- Rachel Grober, Ionia ‐ New Hampton High School
- Hannah Heit, New Hampton ‐ New Hampton High School
- Emily Larson, Ankeny ‐ North Polk Jr‐Sr High School
- Caleb L. Lines, Nashua ‐ Nashua Plainfield High School
- Brooke Stout, Washington ‐ Washington High School
- Sophia Xiao, Bettendorf ‐ Pleasant Valley High School
- Tianxin Xu, Ames ‐ Ames High School
- Lien Zhu, Coralville ‐ West High School
The 2018 US Presidential Scholars are scheduled to be announced on Tuesday, May 8.
The U.S. Presidential Scholars Program was established in 1964, by executive order of the President, to recognize and honor some of our nation's most distinguished graduating high school seniors. In 1979, the program was extended to recognize students who demonstrate exceptional talent in the visual, creative and performing arts. In 2015, the program was again extended to recognize students who demonstrate ability and accomplishment in career and technical education fields. Each year, up to 161 students are named as Presidential Scholars, one of the nation's highest honors for high school students.