Does your student want to serve on the Board of Education?
Applications are being accepted for the student member of the State Board of Education.
Each year the Governor appoints a student to serve as a nonvoting member of the State Board of Education. The term of the student member starts May 1, 2018, and ends April 30, 2019. The State Board meets at least seven times during that term, with most meetings taking place in the Grimes State Office Building in Des Moines. The deadline for submitting an application with all required documents is Feb. 1.
Besides being a full-time, regularly enrolled 10th or 11th grade student in a public high school, the student must meet these requirements:
- Has a GPA of at least 3.0 (4.0 scale) or 3.75 (5.0 scale).
- Has attended his/her present high school at least the past two consecutive semesters (or the equivalent thereof).
- Demonstrates participation in extracurricular and community activities, as well as an interest in serving on the board.
The number of applicants in a year from any one district is limited as follows:
- If district enrollment for grades 10 through 12 is less than 400 students, there may be no more than one applicant from the district.
- If district enrollment for grades 10 through 12 is from 400 to 1,199 students, there may be no more than two applicants from the district.
- If district enrollment for grades 10 through 12 is 1,200 students or more, there may be no more than three applicants from the district.
The application and supporting documents are available for the student member of the State Board of Education webpage.