Resources available for social studies standards
In order to support implementation of Iowa's new social studies standards, the Iowa Department of Education has launched revised social studies webpages on IowaCore.gov. These webpages offer several resources for supporting the new standards. A few highlights include:
- You can view printable cards of the standards, standard progressions and the standards as a printable poster.
- An overview of the instructional shifts of the new standards.
- The inquiry in social studies poster and several resources for developing powerful questions in a social studies classroom.
- Course, unit, and lesson plans templates, standards at a glance templates and examples in 3rd grade and high school U.S. history and alignment tools on the Planning for Delivery and Implementation page.
- An updated Best Practices Rubric to gauge the use of best practices in social studies.
- Links to various teaching strategies in social studies and hundreds of links to content resources on the Applying Skills and Content page.
- Two webpages that identify several assessment resources with webinars, articles, and examples at Best Practices in Social Studies Assessment and at Additional Social Studies Assessment Resources.
- Access to social studies research and professional learning resources.
- Resources for self-paced professional learning and professional learning events.