Skip to main content
Official State of Iowa Website Here is how you know

OWI Education

On this page...


Use the "OWI/DUI/DWI Assistance" button to request assistance:

OWI/DUI/DWI Assistance

Iowa Code 321J.17 explains requirements for persons operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated within the state of Iowa.

Iowa law stipulates that individuals found to have been operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated—either by failing a sobriety test or refusing to test—must complete a mandated "drinking and driving course that encourages the offender to assess the offender's own drinking and driving behavior in order to select practical alternatives."

OWI in Iowa Brochure

Frequently Asked Questions

Information for Iowans

If you received an OWI in the state of Iowa, you will need to complete the following before your driver's license can be reinstated. Note that in some cases, additional penalties/requirements may be imposed by the court system and/or by the Iowa Department of Transportation.

  • Complete a substance abuse evaluation and follow any treatment recommendations as stipulated by the evaluator.
  • Successfully complete a state approved drinking driver education program. There are a number of providers that have been approved to provide this program in the state of Iowa. Cost for the 12-hour class is $180. Additional fees may be incurred for the jail diversion program. Note: Attending a Victim Impact Panel does not satisfy the drinking driver education requirement.
  • Pay any civil penalties, reinstatement fees, and/or pass any examinations as required by the court system and the Iowa Department of Transportation. For further information regarding your driving record, contact the Iowa Department of Transportation at 515-244-8725.

OWI/DUI/DWI Assistance

Approved Iowa Providers

Use the links below to locate state approved drinking driver alcohol education providers and licensed substance abuse treatment/evaluators in Iowa.

List of Approved Iowa Providers

Find an Approved Provider Near You

Need a copy of your driving record or arrest report?

Information for Non-Iowans

The State of Iowa requires that you complete a substance abuse evaluation and a state-approved drinking driver education course. Iowa requires that individuals who offend in Iowa or Iowa drivers who offend in another state complete a course for drinking drivers.

OWI/DUI/DWI Assistance

Attending a Victim Impact Panel or AA meetings will not satisfy the drinking driver education requirement. Courses taken outside of the state of Iowa must be at least 8 hours in length.

Upon completion of the drinking driver education course, you will need to submit the Out-Of-State OWI Documentation Form and submit it along with the certificate, letter, or report showing the completion of the course. There is a $37.50 administrative fee for submitting education from outside of Iowa. There is a $1.00 convenience fee for making a payment online with a credit/debt card. You may pay with a cashier's check, money order, or with a credit or debit card. Credit/debit card payments can be made online at There is no fee for submitting substance abuse evaluation/treatment.

Upon completion of the substance abuse evaluation, you will need to submit a copy of the evaluation report or the Out of State Substance Abuse Evaluation/Treatment Verification form completed by the evaluator. If your substance abuse evaluation recommends treatment, you will also need to submit documentation showing that the treatment has been completed. Treatment and Education are two separate requirements. Completing treatment does not satisfy your requirement to take the drinking driver education course.

You may fax your documentation to 515-725-2014, scan and email to:, or send through postal mail to:

Iowa Department of Education
Drinking Driver Education
400 East 14th Street
Des Moines, IA 50319-0146

Need a copy of your driving record or arrest report?

If you are having trouble opening forms on this site, you may need to update your version of Adobe Reader. Use this link to obtain a current version of Adobe Reader.


Out-Of-State OWI Documentation Form - Use when submitting documentation from a state other than Iowa

Out of State Substance Abuse Evaluation Treatment Verification - Use to submit substance abuse evaluation/treatment from a state other than Iowa

Residency Statement - An IDOT form to provide proof of residency in an state other than Iowa



Iowa's OWI Laws

Iowa DOT Help Center - call or email

Iowa DOT Ignition Interlock Information

Iowa's BWI (Boating While Intoxicated) Laws

Iowa Department of Transportation

Iowa Department of Transportation Driver's License Stations

National Driver Register

Iowa Civil Requirements After an OWI

Locate a Substance Abuse Treatment Facility Nationwide

Locate a Substance Abuse Professional (SAP) - For those required to obtain a evaluation from a SAP.

For Providers

At this time, there are three options that Iowans have for taking the 12-hour drinking driver program.

Option 1: In person with an approved provider
The Department encourages agencies to not convene classes that include more than 10 people (including the instructor and support personnel).

Option 2: With an approved provider through video conferencing
Agencies may deliver the Prime for Life course curriculum for the 12-hour class via video conferencing until further notice. Class sizes may not be more than 30 people. The jail diversion programs may not be delivered via video conferencing.

Prime for Life is making available the student workbook used during the course in PDF format. All students that attend the course via video conferencing must be provided with a PDF workbook prior to the start of the course. As will the actual workbook, the PDF version may be used only once. PDF workbooks may be ordered directly through Prime for Life by contacting

Option 3: Jail Diversion Program
Agencies may continue to offer the jail diversion program; however, it must be completed in person at a facility that has been previously approved by the court. Monitoring of students must be included. The jail diversion program may not be offered via video instruction. As mentioned previously, the Department highly recommends that class sizes be no more than 10 people including the instructor and any support personnel.

Requirements for offering 12-hour Drinking Driver Course

  • You must be approved by the Department of Education to provide the course
  • The course may not be offered in more than four hour blocks without a minimum of a 30-minute break
  • Instructional time may not be more than 8 hours per day
  • Upon successful completion and payment, the agency will provide student with a completion certificate and if applicable electronically submit class completion to the Iowa Department of Transportation
  • All instructors must be certified to teach the course, and attend a recertification course every 24 months
  • All students attending the course must receive their own workbook
  • A fee of $180 shall be charged to all participants unless they are deemed indigent, and then the fee may be waived
  • Agencies must submit a quarterly report and the administrative fees collected to the Department of Education within 30 days following the end of each quarter

Interested in becoming an instructor for the drinking driver course in Iowa? Contact for information.

Reporting Documents for Providers

OWI Quarterly Summary of Students Attending Classes (Excel)

OWI Quarterly Fees Remittance Form (PDF)

OWI Quarterly Fees Remittance Form (Word)

Education For Instructors

PRI Training Opportunities

Contact Us

By Phone: 515-281-5251

By Fax: 515-725-2014 (Please indicate OWI in Subject Line)

By Mail:
Iowa Department of Education
Drinking Driver Education
400 East 14th Street
Des Moines, IA 50319