On this page...
The purpose for Work-Based Learning is to provide students with opportunities to connect the real-world application to classroom learning while exploring career paths of interest.
Iowa Work-Based Learning Guide
Contains a comprehensive overview of work-based learning
General Work-Based Employer Checklist
Provides guidelines to help guide active involvement from employers
Business Education Alliance Work-based Learning Schematic
Overview of Work-based Learning Opportunities and Resources in Iowa
Perkins V: Work-Based Learning Information
Perkins V Secondary Performance Indicator: Work-Based Learning
- Perkins V Work-Based Learning Indicator
- Perkins V Overview Presentation Recording
Reporting District Work-Based Learning
- SCED Codes for Perkins V: Work-Based Learning
- SCED Codes for Perkins V WBL Indicator Presentation Recording
- Perkins V Reporting Work-Based Learning with SRI and SCTERA Presentation Recording
Resources for High School Internships
- High School Internship Guidance
- High School Internship Framework Presentation Recording
- High School Internship Framework PDF of Video Presentation
- Health Science Careers Pathways Project Request
- Located under the educator resources heading
- The link opens to a simple form and once submitted confirmation page has a link to copy and paste into your browser.
- Work-Based Learning Website Resources
Resources for Pre-Apprenticeships and Apprenticeships
Resources for School-Based Enterprise
- School-Based Enterprise Guidance
- School-Based Enterprise Presentation Recording
- School-Based Enterprise Application
- MBA Research for Free Curriculum Resources
- Go to State’s Connect on left menu
- School-Based Enterprise Website Resources
- CTE Guidance including information on School-Based Enterprises
- Located under the Business CTE section
Iowa's Community Colleges offer many work-based learning (WBL) experiences within their curriculum. Career and technical programs offer a wide variety of internships, practicums, and career exploration. Transfer majors are also being built between the community colleges and universities with related work experiences in mind. Guidance for developing WBL within the curriculum is available within the following resources.
Work-Based Learning Industry Toolkits
Sector Partnership Website
Includes comprehensive Iowa career and employer information
The Iowa Department of Education works with public and private support partners to develop robust and engaging career pathways that showcase the wide range of exciting, fulfilling, and high-paying careers in many industries that are often misunderstood or stereotyped in Iowa. These projects are in support of the Future Ready Iowa initiative’s goal of a more skilled and trained workforce able and ready to fill the jobs of the future. These projects include qualitative and quantitative research methods, including labor market data mining and direct employer feedback through a series of online surveys and in-person or virtual employer focus groups conducted around the state. Links to additional resources have been provided throughout the documents and the Future Ready Iowa Career Coach site for readers to learn more about these exciting opportunities in their local communities.
- Attend the annual conference and connect with other coordinators for collaboration opportunities.
- Collaborate online for up-to-date programming information and ideas.
- Offers a section under New and Related Services for work-based learning.
- Provides quarterly meetings and information to members via email.