On this page...
Purpose and Background
The Iowa Department of Education (Department) distributes federal funds from the Adult Education and Family Literacy Act (Title II of the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act) through a competitive grant opportunity. These grants are to provide adult education and literacy programs, activities and services, including programs providing activities concurrently, which will improve adult education and literacy in Iowa.
Funding has been awarded for the PY2020-2025 grant cycle. A copy of the Funding Opportunity (FO) used for that grant opportunity is included as a reference for future requests for funding applications.
Proposals for funding are administered through IowaGrants.gov.
The Department awarded 15 applicants for Adult Education and Family Literacy Act funding under Section 231 of the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act and 5 applicants for Integrated English Literacy and Civics Education funding under Section 243. The terms of service for the contract is subject to continued availability of funding by the U.S. Department of Education. The exercise of grant renewals is made on a program by program basis. Renewals are contingent on the grant recipient’s ability to successfully implement the terms of the grant and demonstrated effectiveness as determined by outcomes.
The terms of the anticipated contract, are defined as follows:
|Period||Start Date||End Date|
|Initial Period of Performance||July 1, 2020||June 30, 2021|
|Renewal Period #1||July 1, 2021||June 30, 2022|
|Renewal Period #2||July 1, 2022||June 30, 2023|
|Renewal Period #3||July 1, 2023||June 30, 2024|
|Renewal Period #4||July 1, 2024||June 30, 2025|
Iowa has on average allocated $2,900,000 to awardees. Federal allocations have historically been funded based on:
- Eighty-five percent (85%) on needs: institutional grant; ACS data relative to serving adult education and literacy participants; and enrollment; and
- Fifteen percent (15%) on performance in achieving the state’s targeted benchmarks and performance outcomes.
Awardees for Section 231 and Section 225 (Correction and Institutionalized Services) are required to offer instruction at all Educational Functioning Levels (EFL) (Adult Basic Education, Adult Secondary Education and English as a Second Language), based on identified needs of the area served (state requirement). Programs must also prepare adult learners for and support them in achieving successful transition to postsecondary education and training or employment.
|Name of Provider||Local Workforce Development Area|
|Northeast Iowa Community College||Northeast Iowa Region|
|North Iowa Area Community College||Northeast Iowa Region|
|Iowa Lakes Community College||Northwest Iowa Region|
|Northwest Iowa Community College||Northwest Iowa Region|
|Iowa Central Community College||Northwest Iowa Region, North Central Region and Western Iowa Region|
|Iowa Valley Community College District||South Central Region|
|Hawkeye Community College||Northeast Iowa Region|
|Eastern Iowa Community College||Mississippi Valley Region|
|Kirkwood Community College||East Central Iowa Region|
|Des Moines Area Community College||Central Iowa Region; Western Iowa Region|
|Western Iowa Tech Community College||Western Iowa Region|
|Iowa Western Community College||Western Iowa Region|
|Southwest Iowa Community College||Southwest Iowa Region|
|Indian Hills Community College||South Central Region|
|Southeastern Iowa Community College||Mississippi Valley Region|
The Department reserves the right to award grant funds in amounts different from the applicant’s budget request and the suggested award amount. Such adjustment may be based on how the proposed budget and budget narrative will cover program expenses and whether the requested amount is appropriate, proportionate to the participants served, based on previous performance, and reasonable, as determined by the Department. (state requirement)
- From the time this FO is issued until award notification is made, all contact with the Department regarding this FO must be made through the aforementioned RFP Coordinator. No other person/ State or Department employee is empowered to make binding statements regarding this FO. Violation of this provision may lead to disqualification from the bidding process, at the Department’s discretion. (state requirement)
- Issuance of this Opportunity does not commit the Department to issue an award or to pay expenses incurred by an Applicant in the preparation of a response to this FO. This includes attendance at personal interviews or other meetings and software or system demonstrations, where applicable.
- All proposals should adhere to the instructions and format requirements outlined in this FO and all supplements and amendments, issued by the Department. Proposals are to follow the format and respond to all questions and instructions specified in each section of this FO.
- Applicants shall take careful note that in evaluating a proposal submitted in response to this FO, the Department will consider materials provided in the proposal, information obtained through interviews/presentations (if any), and internal Departmental information of previous contract history with the Applicant (if any). The Department also reserves the right to consider publicly available information in evaluating an Applicant’s experience and capabilities.
The following steps will be taken in conducting the competition:
Feb. 14, 2020: Department publishes the AEFLA Sec. 231 and 225 as well as the Sec. 243 Integrated English Literacy and Civics Education Funding Opportunity(s)
Feb. 20, 2020: Department provides a bidder’s conference and technical assistance.
March 1, 2020: Due date for questions.
May 1, 2020: Due date for AEFLA grant applications. This is an extended deadline.
June 10, 2020: Department announces AEFLA grant applicants that will receive funding.
July 1, 2020: AEFLA grant providers begin multi-year grant cycle, programming, and funding.
Section 231 and 225 AEFLA Grant
Adult Education and Literacy Competitive Grant Application Package - 231 and 225 Funds
Section 243 IELCE Grant
Integrated English Literacy and Civics Education Competitive Grant Application Package - 243 Funds
Section 231 and 225 Bidder's Conference Video
PowerPoint slides from the Section 231 and 225 Bidder's Conference Video
Section 243 Bidder's Conference Video
PowerPoint slides from Section 243 Bidder's Conference Video
FAQ Section 231 and Section 225
Appendix C - Section 231 and 225
IowaGrants Login Instructions - first time and returning users