Providing safe and secure learning environments is important to Iowa schools. The following information is provided to help school leaders plan for possible crisis situations, including natural disasters and violent incidents. In addition, the safety tips and action steps for parents and students are also included.
Iowa School Safety Products - A guide, flip charts, self assessment and threat report form created for Iowa schools by various agencies and associations. School leaders are encouraged make these materials their own. The goal is to get all stakeholders on the same page when it comes to school safety.
Safe Schools Leadership Handbook: A Technical Assistance Guide (2006-09-11) - a 563 page handbook for school leaders.
Threat Assessment in Schools: A Guide to Managing Threatening Situations and to Creating Safe School Climates - A guidance document issued by the USDE and the US Secret Service for school personnel, law enforcement officials, and others with responsibilities for safe school environments. The guide includes suggestions for developing a threat assessment team, steps to take when a threat or other information of concern comes to light, consideration about when to involve law enforcement, information sharing issues, and ideas for creating safe school climates.
ABC's of School Safety - Resource from the American Association of School Administrators.
The sites listed below link to information on consumer product safety, emergency preparedness and management, and the physical security of school occupants during natural disasters, accidents, and criminal acts and other man-made threats.
NASP School Safety and Crisis Resources - The National Association of School Psychologists has assembled quality resources to promote the ability of children and youth to cope with traumatic or unsettling events.
Video from Safe Schools Issues Sessions
NOTE: The following videos are from a series of informational sessions about safe schools.
Pam Pfitzenmaier - introduction, resources, and purpose for this and future sessions (10 minutes)
- Windows Media: mms://video2.state.ia.us/doe/2006/061023_01_high.wmv
Mary Gannon & Carol Greta - policy and legal issues for schools, new legislation, and revisiting crisis plans (30 minutes)
- Windows Media: mms://video2.state.ia.us/doe/2006/061023_02_high.wmv
Bob Jester - safe facilities and risk factors for school buildings (30 minutes)
- Windows Media: mms://video2.state.ia.us/doe/2006/061023_03_high.wmv
Max Christensen - school transportation and communication needs (5 minutes)
- Windows Media: mms://video2.state.ia.us/doe/2006/061023_04_high.wmv
Ken Clary - establishing and maintaining partnerships with law enforcement (10 minutes)
- Windows Media: mms://video2.state.ia.us/doe/2006/061023_05_high.wmv
- Iowa State Patrol District Offices - For districts located in rural or small communities with part-time or no law enforcement officials available, contact the nearest Iowa State Patrol District Office to request support for your school safety planning efforts.
Jane Todey - welcome and overview of session
- Windows Media: mms://video2.state.ia.us/doe/2006/061106_01_high.wmv
Thomas Mayes - legal requirements relating to special education (10 minutes)
- Windows Media: mms://video2.state.ia.us/doe/2006/061106_02_high.wmv
Eric Gettes (AEA 9 school psychologist) - summary of threat assessment and the Safe Schools initiative (30 minutes)
- Implementing and Conducting a School Threat Assessment (2006-11-20)
- Windows Media: mms://video2.state.ia.us/doe/2006/061106_03_high.wmv
Pam Rodewald (Fort Dodge School District) - Ten lessons learned (15 minutes)
- Windows Media (broadband): mms://video2.state.ia.us/doe/2006/061106_04_high.wmv
Dwight Widen (St. Ansgar School District) - Experience on building relationships (15 minutes)
- Windows Media (broadband): mms://video2.state.ia.us/doe/2006/061106_05_high.wmv
Kay Rosene (West Des Moines School District) - Threats that occur in the community located near schools (10 minutes)
- Windows Media (broadband): mms://video2.state.ia.us/doe/2006/061106_06_high.wmv
Eric Neessen (Consultant of School Psychological Services) - introduction and review of sessions (5 minutes)
- Windows Media (broadband): mms://video2.state.ia.us/doe/2006/061120_01_high.wmv
Jane Todey (Consultant of Learning Supports) - data on safety issues from the IYS (10 minutes)
- Windows Media (broadband): mms://video2.state.ia.us/doe/2006/061120_02_high.wmv
Jan Kuhl (Consultant for Career Education and Guidance Counseling) - addressing learning environment concerns (10 minutes)
- Windows Media (broadband): mms://video2.state.ia.us/doe/2006/061120_03_high.wmv
Tracey Adamowski (Iowa PTA) - engaging parents, building relationships, and sharing information (20 minutes)
- Windows Media (broadband): mms://video2.state.ia.us/doe/2006/061120_04_high.wmv
Bret Voorhees (Homeland Security and Emergency Management) - collaborative efforts with other agencies within the community (15 minutes)
- Homeland Security School Safety Presentation - (2006-11-20)
- Windows Media (broadband): mms://video2.state.ia.us/doe/2006/061120_05_high.wmv
Eric Neessen (Consultant of School Psychological Services) - conclusion, overview summary, additional resources (10 minutes)
- Windows Media (broadband): mms://video2.state.ia.us/doe/2006/061120_06_high.wmv