On this page...
- Iowa Core
- Iowa Core Professional Development
- Iowa Arts Council
- Festivals, Contests, Exhibits & Competitions
- Professional Organizations
The information on this page is intended to be used by administrators, teachers, area education agencies, students, parents and other individuals who have an interest in arts education in Iowa. Arts Education includes the areas of Drama/Theatre, General Music, Instrumental Music, Orchestra, and Visual Art, Vocal Music.
The following laws reference arts education:
How do the Fine Arts fit into the Iowa Core?
In 2009 the following fine arts disciplines created writing teams to align standards with the 21st Century Universal Constructs. As these writing teams finish their work, it will be posted to this site.
- K-8 General Music
- Instrumental Music/Orchestra
- Visual Art
- Vocal Music
Since professional development for Iowa Core is a focus for school districts in the next school year, having access to an essential skill and concepts alignment in Fine Arts Education will assist facilitators and administrators. The following links 1) provide appropriate content specific guidance, 2) support professional dialogue in the area of fine arts, and 3) promote cross curricular instructional collaboration and lesson planning for all educators while honoring the skill development and academic discipline that the fine arts provide to students.
- On November 7, 2008, a meeting of the presidents of Iowa arts education organizations and representatives from colleges and universities with music education departments met with Kevin Fangman, and Rosanne Malek at the Department of Education. The purpose of the meeting was to discuss how the student experience in the fine arts fits into the Iowa Core.
- On October 7, 2009, another meeting moved work forward in support of writing fine arts skills and concepts aligned to Iowa Core. The expectation clarified in this meeting provided the Fine Arts writers with two parameters, 1) the fine arts could not add essential skills and concepts not already listed in Iowa Core (literacy, mathematics, science, and social studies) and 2) the Fine Arts were to align with the Universal Constructs. The writing teams aligned fine arts skills and concepts using National Standards and additional researched information to support best practice.
- The purpose of writing and sharing the Fine Arts and Iowa Core alignment is to provide guidance in specific disciplines of the arts education. Hopefully this work will support all educators in understanding that alignment with Iowa Core begins includes Arts Education.
Arts Education has been represented in creating Iowa Core professional development lessons to be used by local school districts. As the materials become available, the information will be posted.
The Iowa Arts Council (http://www.iowaartscouncil.org/) aims to enrich the quality of life and learning in Iowa communities by encouraging excellence in the arts.
For information about Iowa High School music festivals/contests, contact the Iowa High School Music Association at 515-432-2013 or http://www.ihsma.org/.
For information about Iowa Visual Arts student exhibits and competition opportunities, contact the Art Educators of Iowa, http://www.artedia.org.
The following arts education organizations are actively serving Iowa educators in areas of professional development, advocacy, and leadership opportunities:
Art Educators of Iowa (http://artedia.org/)
First Iowa Orff Chapter 28 - Cedar Falls (http://firstiowaorff.org/index.html)
Greater Des Moines Orff Chapter 48
Iowa Alliance for Arts Ecucation (http://www.iowaalliance4artsed.org/)
Iowa Bandmasters Association (https://www.bandmasters.org/)
Iowa Communication Association (http://www.uni.edu/commstudies/ica/)
Iowa Choral Directors Association (http://www.iowachoral.org/)
Iowa Music Educators Association (http://www.iamea.org/)
Iowa Music Teachers Association (http://www.iamta.org/)
Iowa String Teachers Association (https://sites.google.com/site/iowasta/home)
KEI - Kodaly Educators of Iowa (https://sites.google.com/site/kodalyiowa/)
Sioux Valley Orff - Sioux City (http://siouxvalleyorffchapter.pbworks.com/)
Very Special Arts Iowa (http://www.vsarts.org/x307.xml)