On this page...
The Iowa Early Childhood Network is a leadership group of Early Childhood specialists from each Area Educational Agency (AEA) who meet monthly to provide technical assistance to early childhood programs within their region.Mission
The Mission of the Iowa Early Childhood Network is to promote the optimal development and education of all young children by providing leadership and support collaborative efforts between families, schools, and communities.
The Early Childhood Network's belief statements are framed around the concept of life-long learning. The following statements include beliefs for children and adults.Beliefs About Children:
- A sense of belonging is a critical need of each child and begins with the child's family.
- Each child is a unique individual and learns best in an environment that celebrates diversity.
- Meeting the comprehensive needs of each child is a responsibility shared by the family, school, community, and government agencies.
- Young children learn through play and active engagement with their environment.
- Children grow best when they are treated with dignity and experience love, respect, and freedom from violence.
- Early childhood development and education are enhanced through social interactions and with support from adults who are significant to the child.
- The care and education of young children is the foundation for developing productive citizens in our democratic society.
- Acceptance and support by peers is integral to personal well-being.
- All people are unique, and this diversity strengthens the group.
- People are empowered through collaborative efforts.
- Adults learn best in a supportive environment that includes meaningful work, active engagement, personal commitment, and time for reflection.
- Relationships based on dignity, respect, recognition, and acceptance foster creativity and productivity.
- Our professional growth depends upon the interaction and support that occurs within The Early Childhood Network (professional individual and collective).
Iowa Code section 279.51 governs the ECN.
The Primary Program is a framework of the current knowledge base and encourage each user to continue learning as new information becomes available. The Primary Program is a resource for adult learners/educators as they plan and organize local curriculum.
Front Cover and Inside of cover
Dedication Table of Contents
Table of Contents
Guiding Principles and Goals of The Primary Program
Partnerships with Families and Communities
Considerations for Implementation
Cultural Diversity in Learning and Learners
Active Learning in the Classroom--Common Understndings
Active Learning in the Classroom--Planning for Learning
Active Learning in the Classroom--Classroom Organization
Technology in the Primary Curriculum
Aesthetic and Artistic Development in the Primary Program
Social and Emotional Development in the Primary Program
Intellectual Development in the Primary Program
Language Arts in the Primary Program
Mathematics in the Primary Program
Sciences in the Primary Program
Physical Development and Well Being in the Primary Program
Physical Education in the Primary Program
Health and Well-Being in the Primary Program
Development of Responsibility in the Primary Program
Social Studies in the Primary Program
Responsible Living in the Primary Program
Assessment and Evaluation in the Primary Program
Integrated Curriculum in the Primary Program
Contacts in your Area