Exhibits should be mailed to Su McCurdy at the address below. Exhibits are public records, so confidentiality requirements should be observed. Exhibits include 12 copies, 3-hole punched, and without staples, of the following information:
1. A single, one-page cover letter covering all the requests including:
- Specific reasons, summarized, for the request/s.
- Specific dollar amount requested.
- Identification of the name and title of the individuals who will represent the district at the hearing.
- Identification of an emergency contact person with telephone number, FAX number, and e-mail address.
2. Locally developed documentation supporting the request/s, not to exceed five (5) pages. Include discussion of any information required or requested by the SBRC. Do not include exhibits from the websites of the Department of Education or Department of Management.
3. A copy of the school board minutes showing official action taken by the board authorizing the request to the SBRC prior to the hearing being requested. The district/AEA shall also retain a copy of the board minutes for review by its auditor.
Direct questions and communications to:
School Budget Review Committee Liaison
Department of Education
Grimes State Office Building
400 E. 14th Street
Des Moines, Iowa 50319-0146
Based on historical decisions by the SBRC, the Department is providing guidance to districts on appropriate or necessary information to provide related to each Code subsection on which the SBRC may take action. As each set of exhibit guidance is developed, it will be added to this website.
LEP Exhibit Guidance, Iowa Code subsection 257.31(5)"l"
Environmental Hazard Exhibit Guidance, Iowa Code subsection 257.31(6)
A district that has incurred a negative unspent authorized budget balance for a second or more consecutive year should contact Joyce Thomsen at the Department of Education. The Department will email a customized form to be completed by the district as part of its Corrective Action Plan. The form will list information from the Corrective Action Plan previously submitted by the district to the SBRC. The district will enter the comparable information based on actual amounts from the fiscal year just ended. The district will also list reductions to expenditures or increases to revenues as part of its continuing Corrective Action Plan for the most recent negative unspent authorized budget balance.
School districts that want to request modified allowable growth from the School Budget Review Committee (SBRC) for the following specific requests authorized by Iowa Code may do so on an application form. The specific requests that are included on the application form include
- increased enrollment
- open enrollment out not on the prior year's count
- limited English proficient programs beyond the four years of weightings.
The data collection, pre-populated from data reported by districts in EASIER student records, will be found at www.edinfo.state.ia.us, and is due no later than December 1.
Related Contact Information for SBRC Exhibits and Applications