The State Literacy Leadership Team is comprised of people with expertise in effective literacy instruction for children from Kindergarten to grade 12. The members of the team represent each Area Education Agency (AEA) as well as Institutes of Higher Education (IHE) and Local Education Agencies (LEA). The team meets 3 to 4 four times a year for the purposes of:
- Increasing the knowledge base and expertise of the content area literacy consultants in relation to Iowa Core Standards in ELA
- Developing professional development materials collectively to assist educators with understanding the content and implications for instructional strategies and assessment
- Coordinating and delivering professional learning materials that support implementation of the Iowa Core Standards in ELA across the AEAs and LEAs
- Promoting equity in relationship to implementing the Iowa Core Standards in ELA; ensuring that all students have the opportunity to learn the Iowa Core Standards.
2012-2013 Meeting Dates
- November 8, 2012, Des Moines
- February 14, 2013, via ICN
- April 11, 2013, Des Moines
In order to accomplish the above statead goals, the State Literacy Leadership Team will establish task groups targeting the Iowa Core instructional shifts PK-3.